PDA

View Full Version : Overall PageRank Power

Mike
08-28-2003, 03:04 PM
I've re-read a few of your articles Chris, and am having trouble understanding this Overall PageRank Power...

I don't get the fact that if you link from the 'current' site to your complementary affiliate site, it will benefit you. As wouldn't the pagerank of the 'current' site decrease because you are linking to another site?

Sorry if that's a bit complicated;)
Mike

Chris
08-28-2003, 03:33 PM
The idea is that the affiliate site has a greater income potential than your current site -- so yes. The PR of the current site decreases but most people would rather be mining for gold and not copper.

Mike
08-28-2003, 03:52 PM
Never looked at it like that I suppose...

Another thing while on the subject, why couldn't you use say your homepage for cross promoting?

Thanks for your quick reply,
Mike

Chris
08-28-2003, 03:57 PM
Its not as effective as direct cross linking.

Mike
08-29-2003, 01:36 AM
I mean though, why do you want to find the PR of a page, which is only linked to by you? Wouldn't you be better off if you found the pages with the highest PR?

Thanks a lot,
Mike:)

chromate
08-29-2003, 02:53 AM
The idea is that you're working out how much PR you'll be sending to your other site. In the example, I think it uses the privacy statement as the page for working out your PR Power. This is because a link to this page will likely exist at the bottom of every other page on your site.

So then, if you look at the PR of your "privacy statement page" then you'll be able to work out roughly how much PR you'll be contributing to your other site. This is if it was linked to from every page of your "content site" in the same fashion as your "privacy statement" is.

This is why you look at a page that only you link to. Because, only you will be linking from your content site to your affiliate site.

Just think of your privacy statement page as if it were your affiliate site. You're working out how much PR you can send it.

Hope this helps.

chromate
08-29-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Mike
Wouldn't you be better off if you found the pages with the highest PR?

Remember that you'd be linking from those pages too as the privacy statement appears at the bottom of those pages too, right? So when you add a link to your affiliate site at the bottom of every page on your content site, next to the privacy statement (or where ever), the PR will flow from that page too.

... Just to try and clarify :)

Mike
08-29-2003, 04:25 AM
Ah, I get it:)

Thanks a lot for the help chromate, and thanks for your reply as well Chris...

Mike

Chris
08-29-2003, 05:49 AM
Good job clarifying Chromate

chromate
08-29-2003, 05:51 AM
Thanks.