PDA

View Full Version : My Problem

Chris
08-27-2003, 02:44 PM
I have a problem... I don't have time... I used to have time... but I don't know what happened to it.

I have like 16 websites, I have one that has been sitting half done for like 2 weeks now. I have others that haven't been updated in months, I have an article for this site that has been sitting half done -- and when thats done I need to update two articles.

I have ideas for more websites. 3 to be exact... for now. 4 if you count one that'd be harder to make and not have as large of a monetary pay off.

What I don't have is time.

I think I need to stop, take a breath, stop making websites. I also need to cut some dead weight -- but is any weight really dead? Decisions decisions. For instance my wedding registry site hasn't made a dime since I made it. Personally I think its a really good idea and I did some rather nifty coding to make the site function but I don't have time to get it to the level it needs to be at to make money.

Yet... it is atleast contributing a small amount of PR to my network just sitting there. So, what to do...

Mike
08-27-2003, 02:48 PM
Couldn't you just sell the 'dead wood' and sites that aren't making enough, and put the money you make into advertising the main ones?

Also, is it just you who works on your sites?

Chris
08-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Ya its just me...

The problem is the sites that don't make money contribute to the popularity of the sites that do make money... and I have to get rid of anything... plus most of them atleast make some money. Its really just the one that doesn't.

dolphin
08-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Hi

how about employing someone to do some of the stuff for you?

Dolphin

Chris
08-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Ya... I think I'm going to start outsourcing more development.

GCT13
08-27-2003, 08:29 PM
I hate to use the term "burn out" as I don't know your situation fully, but it sounds like you may be at the precipice. I was at that point a while back and stepped away for a bit without working on nothing website-wise. The time off really helped, to borrow a line from Al Pacino in Carlito's Way, it "rehabilitated, reinvigorated, rejuvinated," me and I was anxious to get back to work with enthusiasm.

GCT13
08-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Also, it's amazing how much a little help can help you out. (I'm surprised you're a one-man show, congrats on your extensive site library and success)

Perhaps there are MSU students who would jump at the chance to gain experience with a high-profile web publisher? (can you say unpaid intern? :D )

johnn
08-28-2003, 09:41 AM
If necessary for new pages that needed quick, create quick and dirty html static pages... you can always do programming for dynamic pages later.

Give priority for each work, and do one top priority work a day and give it more time and definite certain amount of time; plus do one least priority work a day that you enjoy. At the end of day, look at what you did and be happy, satisfactory with that.:D

Maintenance of an website is an endless task even for low maintenance site that I always want to add something or modifing it. Outsourcing is good, but the forever maintaining task is still following site owners...

Chris
08-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Maybe I need to have kids and put them to work like Farmers do ;)

"Now Billy, where is that data entry Daddy asked for?"

Mike
08-28-2003, 12:26 PM
lol:p

it would be free labour mind;)

johnn
08-30-2003, 12:59 PM
With thousand of pages to go..., why not have a 'bundle of joy' now?:)