PDA

View Full Version : They totally lost it this time.

Percept
07-20-2004, 03:36 AM
Google has really lost it with this update. One of the things I write a little about on my blog is Search engines ( "zoekmachines" in dutch ). I ranked fairly well for the term in Google ( dutch pages only ) but since this new update I've dropped out of the top 1000 . If I do a global search ( no language restriction ) on "zoekmachines" I'm at arround #300. So this means that an "advanced" search is less usefull then a regular search ! Seriously what's up with that ?

Kyle
07-20-2004, 03:46 AM
get more links, write more content, be patient. dont' ever stop. don't think about google anymore. focus entirely on getting incoming links and don't even worry about google updates. just check your ranking once a month and by looking at your web counter.

problem solved.

Percept
07-20-2004, 04:02 AM
Backlinks went from 139 to 304 with this update so that's not the problem. It's not this 1 keyword but more then 7 keywords where I did fairly well, I just vanished from the dutch pages. I'm not making any money on this website so it's not that I lose anything except that I really really don't see the logic in Google's algo anymore.

There's no way there are more then 1000 dutch pages more relevant to the term "zoekmachines" then any of my pages ( not to mention my homepage has a PR5 which I doubt those 1000+ pages ranking above me have )

r2d2
07-20-2004, 04:33 AM
Backinks now seem to show all backlinks now, rather than just PR4+, that might be why you have a bunch more backlinks.

It is annoying though when you see pages clearly less 'optimized' for the keyword(s) above you.

Hang in there a while, the SERPs may correct themselves..

Percept
07-20-2004, 04:39 AM
They don't show all backlinks, for instance I'm not seeing any backlink from directories anymore.

nohaber
07-20-2004, 06:28 AM
How much of your PR/links comes from Dutch sites? Maybe some backlinks from Dutch sites can help. There might some sort of a condition for a site to get into the top 1000 (like having some keyword specific support e.g. a link from a page in the top 1000 for your keywords).

Chris
07-20-2004, 07:41 AM
It could simply be that your site had a technical issue last time Google came by, or you fell through the cracks.

Dan Morgan
07-20-2004, 07:41 AM
If they have added all < PR4 sites, can anyone tell me why they seem to be disregarding all but 50 of the 2,000 or so of my backlinks.

Funny think is, the update before I had 60 backlinks of PR4 and above showing, and now I have 50 backlinks period (if the <PR4 thing is 100% true).

As much as I know I should disregard it and look at my traffic figures (which are actually going up, word of mouth rather than SE's though) as icebane said, its still curious and frustrating :)

Percept
07-20-2004, 07:55 AM
I'll see what happens the next couple of days.

r2d2
07-20-2004, 11:26 AM
I think its perhaps something else they are using to choose backlinks to display maybe, rather than >PR4??

Something has certainly changed though...

Percept
07-20-2004, 02:48 PM
Most threads I've read seem to conclude that this isn't an update since rankings and PR have stayed the same. It's just a change in the way Google shows backlinks, obviously a bad way for us but there's not much we can do about this.