PDA

View Full Version : Server migration

lemon
08-27-2003, 09:40 AM
Chris

I'm about to move my server to another machine on another network as my existing hosting ISP sucks!

How many weeks should the old server remain online for Google?

Does Google spider content on the new server instantly? Or they need to update their DNS servers to find my new server?

If they need to update their DNS servers, how many days/weeks allowance should I keep the original server online?

Thanks man! ;)

GCT13
08-27-2003, 10:26 AM
You're talking about switching your existing web site(s) to a new web host? I'm in the same boat. This should help you out:

Change your domain name server info to point to the new host. Your new host should have instructions on how to do this.

Wait 2-3 days for the domain info to propogate. Put up a test page or something on your new host (which is not on your old host) to test to see if your domain has switched to the new host.

Once your site(s) are pointed to the new host, you can cancel your old host account.

The change should be invisible to Google.

Chris
08-27-2003, 10:35 AM
You should keep your old host atleast 2 weeks after your site is setup and running on the new host just incase some places are slow to update their DNS. It has been known to happen.

GCT13
08-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Two weeks! Ouch.

Well if you're like me, and the end of the month is fast approaching, you'll have to hope four days is enough :D