PDA

View Full Version : Several issues.

Shawn
07-14-2004, 06:37 PM
To my suprise, studioevolved.com, is banned with Google. I purchased it, not knowing it was banned...

Question: Is the domain name banned, or the IP? Meaning, could I simply switch IPs and keep the domain?

Question #2: Hosts. Anyone good where I can host 20 or so sites at least, all with different IPs, about 100 gigs of bandwidth a month, and a gig of space? I'm not really looking for a small hosting company, but a place with great tech support, decent prices, etc.

That's all for now.

ozgression
07-14-2004, 06:48 PM
I used to have a banned domain and I emailed Google, explaining that I just purchased it and that I was not responsible for it being banned (obviously, the previous owner was).

I think you will need to have a functional website on the domain before they un-ban it for you, however. I do not think IPs have anything to do with it (in my experience).
________
silver surfer vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/silver-surfer-vaporizer)

mobilebadboy
07-14-2004, 07:04 PM
I'm probably going to move to Tranxact (http://www.tranxactglobal.com) in the next couple of months (after I get a vacation out of the way). They're part of Gnax, and I always see them recommended at WHT.

40 GB Hard Drive, 400 GB Transfer/month ($85 or $99/month depending on CPU), managed. Or you can go higher, that's just the value options. You get 8 IPs, and can buy more in blocks of 8 at 50 cents/IP.

Kyle
07-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Start a trouble ticket with Google, and email them with short specific details on what your situation is. I know of two cases where friends got their domains unbanned within 1 month after purchasing.

r2d2
07-15-2004, 12:20 AM
Unlikely to be a banned IP. Get something up there then contact Google - should be ok I would hope.

chromate
07-15-2004, 03:47 AM
Yeah, it'll be the domain, not the IP.

When you say you need 20 different IP's for 20 different sites - I presume you're going to be cross promoting them? You'll need 20 different class C addresses. Some hosts allow you to buy extra IP addresses, but they often have the same subnet.

Chris
07-15-2004, 07:08 AM
Google rarely does IP based bans.

Getting 20 ips like that on one server or account is tough. Rackshack gives me different class C address if I order them at different times. So If I order 2 now they'll be different than the two I order in a couple months, but ones I order at the same time are always similar.

Shawn
07-15-2004, 07:34 AM
I know I needed different class C addresses, which I was referring to. Sorry, should have been more specific. Well, if not 20, what about 2 or 3? Would you recommend Rackshack?

Shawn
07-15-2004, 10:26 AM
Do you guys think a site could have been banned for not having any content?

I am 100% positive there has never been any ugly SEO tactics (or any SEO tactics at all) on the site in its entire existence. Since I've heard from here, as well as some other places, that it's best to have content on the site when the engineers check it -- I'm wondering if some how, some way, my site was brought to their attention (which, obviously resulted in my ban).

Mike
07-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Nah, I don't think it could be that. For all google know, your site could be giving useful information with it's picture :)

Chris
07-15-2004, 11:19 AM
Sometimes sites are simply banned when domains change ownership to prevent the rampant spam around the expired domain industry.

I do recommend rackshack, and you can get your ip addresses. You get 8 free if they are justified (say they're for SSL installations). Then they're $1 or $2 a month each.

Shawn
07-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Is Rackshack quick on responding to support issues?

Chris
07-17-2004, 07:18 AM
Yes. They don't manage your server though so you're in charge of updating software and whatnot and if you mess it up software wise they usually won't help other than to do a restore. But if it is a hardware issue, or a potential hardware issue, or an issue where you cannot access your server, they fix it.

There are people you can pay though to make your server up to date and secure it after purchasing. Figure about $200 for that service though.

incka
07-17-2004, 07:18 AM
I'm worried alot of the history domains I bought (I'm sure most have been owned before) is there anyway to find out?

Chris
07-17-2004, 05:33 PM
If you have a PageRank displayed in the toolbar you aren't banned.

incka
07-18-2004, 04:26 AM
I haven't.

chromate
07-18-2004, 04:43 AM
Use the waybackmachine and see if they've had any sites on them. If they have nothing, then there's probably nothing to worry about.