PDA

View Full Version : What happened to allinurl?

mobilebadboy
07-13-2004, 09:18 PM
For the past couple of days I've tried to use allinurl:domain.com (which I use often) and it hasn't worked. All I get is all the websites that "contain the term".

:confused:

site: works, but allinurl always lists the full indexed links first, and links that aren't completely indexed last. site: has no order.

chrispian
07-13-2004, 09:31 PM
Works for me. See Here (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&q=allinurl%3Alit.org). Is it just one domain not working, or all?

mobilebadboy
07-13-2004, 10:05 PM
With me, the only results I always get with allinurl:mydomain.com are only the indexed pages for my site, not other sites that contain mydomain.com. Now I'm getting any site which contains mydomain.com.

It's for all my sites, and it's just started not working the way it has for the many months I've used it in the past.

So if I searched allinurl:visualintensity.com, I would only get my indexed pages for visualintensity.com. Now I get every site on the internet that contains the term visualintensity.com.

That's always how I check to see how many pages I have indexed.

chrispian
07-13-2004, 10:10 PM
When I've used it, since I found it about 5 or 6 months ago, it has always showed every domain that contained my domain, like your describing. I get lit.org.sg or anyone who mentions my domain etc. I've never seen it work any different personally.

mobilebadboy
07-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Well I've found a work around by adding my domain again after it.

This (http://www.google.com/search?q=allinurl:visualintensity.com+visualintens ity.com&filter=0) is the type of results I've always gotten with just allinurl:mydomain.com.

AndyH
07-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Yeah, same thing happened to me...

chrispian
07-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Well I've found a work around by adding my domain again after it.

This (http://www.google.com/search?q=allinurl:visualintensity.com+visualintens ity.com&filter=0) is the type of results I've always gotten with just allinurl:mydomain.com.

That doesn't work for me. I still get all sorts of sites that have variants of lit.org in them.

chrispian
07-14-2004, 09:54 AM
I just saw another post over at Sitepoint on this subject and I tried: allinurl:lit.org site:lit.org and that worked for me.

I don't think allinurl: has worked like expected for months, I just think people were very lucky. It has produced these bizzare results for me since I discovered this a little over 6 months ago.

Mike
07-14-2004, 11:26 AM
It's been like this for me for ages :s

mobilebadboy
07-14-2004, 11:50 AM
lit.org would turn up a bunch of results, because other sites have 'lit.org' in the url, which is what the operator is supposed to return. No other site is going to have any of my exact domains in the url, so it would only return my indexed pages.

But I've found inurl:, which works for ME exactly like I want it to, and the way allinurl used to.

chrispian
09-15-2004, 03:19 PM
I know this is old, but I fugured out a way to get accurate results from this, I think:

allinurl: www.domain.com site:www.domain.com

I don't get any urls in the list anymore that aren't mine. I was using allinurl:domain.com domain.com like Shawn posted, but I still got quite a few urls that weren't mine. Using site: in conjunction with allinurl: seems to do exactly what I want. Anyone else tried it?

incka
09-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Seems to work...

Results 1 - 10 of about 47,300 from www.book-reviews.ws for allinurl: www.book-reviews.ws. (0.18 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 30,500 from www.dvdplayerreviews.net for allinurl: www.dvdplayerreviews.net.

chrispian
09-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Seems to work...

Results 1 - 10 of about 47,300 from www.book-reviews.ws for allinurl: www.book-reviews.ws. (0.18 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 30,500 from www.dvdplayerreviews.net for allinurl: www.dvdplayerreviews.net.

Yeah, my testing seems to be working as well. Looks like we might have found a pretty accurate way to see what pages are indexed ;)

Dan Morgan
09-16-2004, 08:06 AM
I know this is old, but I fugured out a way to get accurate results from this, I think:

I don't get any urls in the list anymore that aren't mine. I was using allinurl:domain.com domain.com like Shawn posted, but I still got quite a few urls that weren't mine. Using site: in conjunction with allinurl: seems to do exactly what I want. Anyone else tried it?

Just site:www.domain.com has the desired effect here.

chrispian
09-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Just site:www.domain.com has the desired effect here.

Site listes EVERY site with the url in it. If you do site: www.lit.org you'll see many of the sites aren't even mine. The number of results for site: www.lit.org is 140,00, for allinurl: www.lit.org site:www.lit.org it's 84,800 and ALL of the urls are mine, not just any url that has my site mentioned.

Site: isn't mean to be used alone. It is used to modify searches to restrict them to the domain specified. You can use it for most of their searches too. Want to know how many pages of your site links to another page on your site? try this: link: www.lit.org site:www.lit.org ... I think you'll see a huge difference between that and link: www.lit.org (my test returns 734 for link + site and 1240 for just link).

Dan Morgan
09-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Site listes EVERY site with the url in it. If you do site: www.lit.org you'll see many of the sites aren't even mine.

If I search site:www.lit.org it only shows page in your domain - maybe because I am in the UK I am seeing things differently but thats what it says with 69,600 results.

chrispian
09-16-2004, 10:21 AM
If I search site:www.lit.org it only shows page in your domain - maybe because I am in the UK I am seeing things differently but thats what it says with 69,600 results.

It doesn't on mine, not even close. The first page of results only 1 of them is my site! The second, third and plenty more have none of my sites pages list. It's good to use to see where all my site shows up (it picks up www.lit.org wherever it's mentioned, text, link, whatever), but it's does nothing to tell me how many pages are indexed.

incka
09-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Do you make much from lit.org?

Want to do a link exchange with literatureforums.net?

chrispian
09-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Do you make much from lit.org?

Want to do a link exchange with literatureforums.net?

Link exchange, yes, sure! I have a few writing sites. I'll PM details to you shortly.

As for making money, no, not really. I haven't actually tried until now. I'm just now starting to give it a serious shot at making money. I'm toying with different ads and affiliates. Amazon is doign okay on there so far, about $50 profit this month so far from AWS. Casale is making about $5 per 10,000 page views fastclick not far behind that. I've applied to Tribal Fusion but was rejected. I've appealed the rejection and hopefully will get in. I have some strings I can pull if I really need to get in.

By far I've made the most off selling text ads on the site. I would say the, all things combined lit.org makes about $350/mo. I'm going to try to get that to around $1000 per month. Writing Forums (our sister site) is pulling up close behind.

Any tips?

-Chris

incka
09-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Well tribal fusion will help. Did they give a reason for rejection?

BTW: Your skyscraper on fastclick is too far down the page.

chrispian
09-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Well tribal fusion will help. Did they give a reason for rejection?

BTW: Your skyscraper on fastclick is too far down the page.

They said there wasn't a suitable category. It's a BS reply, it's the one I've gotten for every site. There are only l ike 5 or 6 people in the literature category .

As for the FC ad, yeah, I don't know what I want to do about that. FC isn't performing as well as Casale (and the FC ads are way more annoying). Also, I've found the side bar performs very pooryly. The site has a lot of navigation and it *must* come first. I have found that my text ads in the footer of the view pages out perform any other ad I post by about 10 to 1! Its the opposite on the forums though, the header ad beats out the footer ad by about 20 to 1.

incka
09-16-2004, 01:10 PM
I've got that denial before.

If Chris' site can get in yours should.