PDA

View Full Version : Database systems...

Stevens
08-27-2003, 09:25 AM
What are the best server-side data base systems (MySQL, Access, SQL Server...) to use and why? On top of that, what are the best scripting languages (PHP, PERL, ASP...) to use? Does anyone know of good online resources for any of this. I guess I'm not too sure how database interaction really works and benefits website content delivery...

ERIC

Chris
08-27-2003, 10:21 AM
php and mysql is the best for most content sites.

Access sucks as a database server.

SQL Server is good, but it needs to run on an MS server, which is slower, more expensive, and more virus prone.

Your hosting account probably already includes php/mysql.

Stevens
08-27-2003, 12:34 PM
Do you do your own PHP scripting? Where can I get scripts to access MySQL. I have PHP and MySQL running my forums. I guess I'm not too sure how a database can drive a content site. Example: I have about 400 night venues that I am posting reviews on (in an Access database that I can hopefully migrate to MySQL) and I'll need pages for each venue (depends on querries, right?). Is this a good application or not, and do you have any online resources that might give tutorials on the PHP/MySQL thing? I found www.planet-source-code.com, but it only gives small scripts and doesn't really touch on the application of PHP and its interaction with MySQL. I might have to spend some time in Barnes & Noble, huh?

ERIC

Stevens
08-27-2003, 12:35 PM
One more thing, does Google spider code or does it spider through links?

Chris
08-27-2003, 12:47 PM
Google sees the same source code that a browser does.

I pretty much learned php/mysql from this book, its a good way to go step by step into creating your web application:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0957921810/qid=1062013340/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-5483167-3405421?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I do all my own scripting now.

A really good script to install on your server (if it isn't alread -- in most places it is) is phpmyadmin.

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

Check your hosting control panel for it -- most places have it preinstalled for you. It gives you something of a GUI for accessing the MySQL Server.

Stevens
08-27-2003, 01:02 PM
I have phpMyAdmin installed, but I am unable to create more databases or rename the ones I have. Is there a client-side application that I can use to manage this rather than the wattered-down phpMyWebAdmin? ...or is there some sort of secret I am not seeing?

Mike
08-27-2003, 01:43 PM
If you are on a shared hosting plan, your host may not allow you to create more databases.

Stevens
08-27-2003, 01:51 PM
Are MySQL databases structured the same as MS SQL databases (database > table > field) or can I add fields to me existing database for my forum and just access the actual fields I need? I guess I just don't have enough experience with MySQL...

ERIC

Mike
08-27-2003, 02:01 PM
They are structured the same way, I think. Most forum software software just needs a free table.

Chris
08-27-2003, 02:12 PM
They're both more or less SQL compliant relational database servers -- if you only use SQL statements to administer MS SQL then you could start working on MySQL and not notice much of a difference (other than perhaps case sensitivity).

If your host only allows you one database thats not really that much of an issue -- it this means you'll need to run your forums and your site content off the same database. Considering how a database can have tons of tables in it its really only a convenience issue.