PDA

View Full Version : My SEO Project

Dan
07-09-2004, 08:31 AM
I'm trying to learn more about SEO, so I decided to start a little practice type site that I can learn SEO techniques from.

The site is www.4ArcadeGames.com
I want to target the following keywords.
-arcade games
-battle ships game
-tennis game
-volleyball game

I've got my online games site linking it using the above words as anchor text.
Bottom of page here (www.GamePlayOnline.com)

I know most people here are great with SEO, so would you be able to help me out? Is the site itself optimised to target the above words? and what would be my next step in getting ranked higher on search engines. I've submited the site to google and dmoz. Have I made any obvious mistakes and how can I improve the pages?

Thanks in advance,

-Daniel

r2d2
07-09-2004, 09:04 AM
Only thing I might have done is put dashes in the URLs of the games - e.g. www .4arcadegames.com/battle-ships-game.htm...

Dan
07-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks mate, I'll give it a shot.

Mike
07-09-2004, 09:32 AM
How about putting "Arcade Games" in H1 tags?

incka
07-09-2004, 10:50 AM
How about buying links from similar sites?

r2d2
07-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Not really gonna learn anything by throwing money at the problem, I think Dan is looking to learn natural, free SEO.

Chris
07-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Every place you use "4ArcadeGames" in the body text (I count 3 places) with no spaces is a wasted opportunity.

Percept
07-10-2004, 05:26 AM
You don't have much textual content, maybe write reviews about the games and make sure to include your keywords in them.

Also Dmoz is great but there are dozens of other directories you could submit to for free, have a look at http://www.seo-lab.com/directory-articles/best-free-directories.php

Dan
07-10-2004, 05:26 AM
I do need incomming links eventally, and because the site has virtually no content I may be forced to pay for them, but like r2d2 said I would like to try all free options as a learning experience. I can get a few links from my sites.

I'm going to but the 'arcade games' in H1 tags, thanks Mike.

So put spaces between my keywords, Thanks Chris.

I have linked to the site from my other games site (www.GamePlayOnline.com) at the bottom of each page. Have I linked to the pages correctly SEO wise?

Is my internal site linking alright?

Thanks again everyone,

-Dan

Dan
07-10-2004, 05:28 AM
Percept, I'll give it a shot,

How many times should I put keywords in a page?

Percept
07-10-2004, 05:30 AM
Dan, I added a link to my previous reply, submit your site to those directories, that'll surely help.

The amount of keywords depends on the total amount of text you put on the page and it's hard to put a number on it. Make sure they are in there a few times but also make sure your text doesn't sound spammy. ( so don't overdo it, ofcourse this is relative )

Dan
07-10-2004, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the link Percept.

Does anyone use a SEO program like WebPostion Gold? Is it worth-while?

Also, is there any good books on SEO? or is trial and error the best way to learn?

Thanks guys,

-Dan

Percept
07-10-2004, 05:40 AM
I havn't read any books on SEO. The best place to start ( and stay up to date ) are forums like this one. There are also a few very good blogs like www.Seroundtable.com ( Chris, the owner of this site also writes posts there ).

Chris
07-10-2004, 06:45 AM
There is a better place to find directories to submit to,

http://www.isedb.com

r2d2
07-10-2004, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the link Percept.

Does anyone use a SEO program like WebPostion Gold? Is it worth-while?

Also, is there any good books on SEO? or is trial and error the best way to learn?

Thanks guys,

-Dan

The web is the best place to read about SEO, I read loads of articles from here and Sitepoint, and spent ages reading the forums, theres loads of information available - just make sure you have some idea of the 'expertise' of the author, theres also a lot of crap out there...

Mike
07-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Yea, don't go with that webpositiongold...

From google:

Don't use unauthorized computer programs to submit pages, check rankings, etc. Such programs consume computing resources and violate our terms of service. Google does not recommend the use of products such as WebPosition Gold™ that send automatic or programmatic queries to Google.

thebillionaire
07-10-2004, 02:39 PM
noob question here, whats SEO?

Percept
07-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Search Engine Optimization

mobilebadboy
07-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Yeah it hasn't changed since you made the same post here (http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1528) and I answered you.