PDA

View Full Version : Founder of SEOChat is Back

pulsetoday
07-09-2004, 05:52 AM
Darrin Ward the person who founded SEOChat has once again started another SEO Forum. Its SEOTown.com .

I originally started "SeoChat", which is another SEO & Web Marketing forum.

In the summer of 2003, I sold SeoChat to the DevShed Network. At the time, I was new to the USA, and I needed some money to go touring. The sale seemed right at the time, and I am glad that I have used a lot of that money to travel this great country.

One year later, and with much gained knowledge, I have decided to start "SeoTown". I have never lost my love for the SEO & Web Marketing arena... hence why I'm back.

This time, I'm not selling anything, although you may find some Google Adsens boxes on here in order to help cover the cost of a dedicated server and the bandwidth.

I hope you join, if you haven't already, and I encourage you to get involved as much as possible with the forum. If we all pull together, this can be a really great place with a less commericla feel that SeoChat.

Thank you for visiting - I hope we will be your new home!

Darrin Ward
SeoTown Admin

Mike
07-09-2004, 08:10 AM
There's nothing new you learn off him anyway imho. Before he sold up, the site had a pr3 or something, but was somehow popular.

MarkB
07-09-2004, 08:21 AM
I wonder if there's a site anywhere with a true SEO expert who gives advice for free?;)

r2d2
07-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Interestingly, he claims Google uses the meta description tag:

4. Use your primary keywords in the Meta Description tag. This tag is used by Google and most other engines, so long as it's not stuffed with spam and junk.

chrispian
07-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Interestingly, he claims Google uses the meta description tag:

He's right.

But they don't use it for ranking. It seems Google uses your Meta Desc. in the SERPS as the description for your page if the keyword searched for appears in the Meta Description.

But it doesn't factor for ranking.

tomek
07-09-2004, 02:40 PM
I wonder if there's a site anywhere with a true SEO expert who gives advice for free?;)

have a look at seobook.com - there's plenty of good info

r2d2
07-09-2004, 04:43 PM
He's right.

But they don't use it for ranking. It seems Google uses your Meta Desc. in the SERPS as the description for your page if the keyword searched for appears in the Meta Description.

But it doesn't factor for ranking.

Yes, Ive had this for my own site. He was implying though that it is used for ranking, when many experts say it isnt,

chrispian
07-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Yes, Ive had this for my own site. He was implying though that it is used for ranking, when many experts say it isnt,

Ah, then he's more rusty than he thought, eh? :) Meta tags haven't been used for ranking in what, like 4 years? lol. I actually work with someone who thinks that meta tags are *still* the best way to optimize a site.

MarkB
07-10-2004, 02:49 AM
Are we 100% sure they AREN'T, though?

tomek
07-10-2004, 03:20 AM

I am sure.

The goal of google is to rank pages based on things that are hard to manipulate by you. Nothing is easier to manipulate than meta-tags.

In the early days the technology of search engines simply wasn't advanced enough so they had to rely on information supplied by the user (the meta tags). Then came Google... the rest is legend :)

r2d2
07-10-2004, 03:32 AM

Notice I said 'many experts say they arent' :) Sure we dont know for certain... I think though that SEs are more advanced than having to use those now, I'd say they're getting obsolete

Chris
07-10-2004, 06:49 AM
All the experiments I ran at searchenginelabs.com point to them not being used.

No one can provided any empirical data of them being used.