PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU do when you need PR?

nohaber
06-27-2004, 06:39 AM
What do you do when you are in need of more PageRank? I am having a difficult type topping the SERPs because I am the only one lacking DMOZ listings.
Any tips, how to find high PR sites willing to link to you?

Chris
06-27-2004, 06:42 AM
Do you have a Yahoo listing? Joe Ant? Go Guides? All the other smaller directories?

Its been a long time since I really needed PR. If I needed it for one of my more academic sites I would just spend time sending out link requests. I got dozens of one way links to my survival site by just asking for them.

A link exchange can help if the other site has more PR, otherwise it'll only help if you're on topic (localrank and whatnot).

For commercial sites I've bought links before, really its just text link advertising that I bought. I've never bought from any PR-selling sites or services, but I have paid for text links from individual webmasters.

Of course the best way is to make a noncommercial informative site which you can then use to cross promote.

incka
06-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Do as Chris said, but if you want to buy links I can put in in touch with someone who can get you a pr8 link for $200 a month.

chromate
06-27-2004, 08:48 AM
Yahoo listings really seem to help. One of your keywords is carbohydrate counter, isn't it? Ever since I got my yahoo listing in their carbohydrate counter category I've consistently remained at #1 (and #2) in google. I think it's worth persisting to try and get links from the Yahoo directory.

chromate
06-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Do as Chris said, but if you want to buy links I can put in in touch with someone who can get you a pr8 link for $200 a month.

I wouldn't bother buying links for PR unless the site is highly related to your site's topic / primary search term. I recall some people buying PR and it hardly having any effect on their rankings. I've also seen this time and time again in the dating related SERPs.

Alternatively, you could run the PR you bought through another site first, which is highly related to your main site, and then send the PR on to your primary site from that. That way you're more likely to benefit from Local Rank or any Local Rank equivalent that's in play. It would also go some way to protect your main site from the wrath of Google if they catch you out. With any luck, only your secondary site will be dropped ;)

... But this all gets very spammy.

Shawn
06-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Just to add, don't shy away from unrelated link exchanges or links. They do help, quite a bit.

chromate
06-27-2004, 09:28 AM
But not always. It depends how much free cash you have to play about with. I certainly wouldn't bank on it working out.

Anyway, Mr Secretive (:)), didn't you say you had a network of PR7 sites? If so, you may be benefiting form the interlinking between those sites, laundering the local rank so to speak in a similar manor to what I suggested above.

But, time's up for you anyway, you said you were gonna let the cat out the bag in two weeks and that was ages ago. So, then, what've you been working on?! :)

Chris
06-27-2004, 09:52 AM
And the adsense ads at the top of this page just goes to show you how good their targetting is....

Shawn
06-27-2004, 10:07 AM
Yes, I see chromate's signature in the ads, basically.

Maybe soon, chromate, soon.

nohaber
06-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll kick up my link exchanges a bit and look for more free listings.

Chris, how do you find sites that link to you? I guess these are some amateur webmasters.

paul
06-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Until 6 months ago I had never heard of PR and never made a cent from a PR6 site with 10,000 visits a month :) AdSense has been qute the pleasant experience!

Reading a group like this makes it easy to start thinking everyone knows (or cares) about this stuff. I am sure there are lots of unaware or uncaring webmasters.

chromate
06-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Yep, definitely. I bet there are loads. Generally the best sites are the ones where the webmaster has created them to share the pashion they have for a particular topic. Obviously, great sites will eventually build great audiances.

Chris
06-27-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll kick up my link exchanges a bit and look for more free listings.

Chris, how do you find sites that link to you? I guess these are some amateur webmasters.

There are lots of people who don't know or don't care about PR. Say someone made a geocities site in 1997 about fishing. They added to it and it grew and accumulated links. Now it is a pretty good fishing blog type directory thing. Most importantly it has a good PR since it has been aroudn for awhile.

You'll likely find loads of places like this by looking through the backlinks of your well ranked competitors.