PDA

View Full Version : what would be the best way to go about this?

eMEraLdwPn
06-25-2004, 05:37 PM
i have a lyrics site at http://www.lyricallysquared.com and traffic has been more or less the same for the past month or two, and i know that many other lyrics sites get far more traffic than i do... so 1st off, does anyone see anything in particular i could do to improve my traffic? this forum has gotten me from basically 5-10 users a day to 3-4000 a day, so everyone who has helped me has already been amazing

secondly, i think i'm going to add on a guitar tabs section to each artist... i'm not sure, but i'm assuming just building a separate site would be the best way to go about it? but regardless, i'd still rather have everything rolled into one site... how would i go about optimizing the pages for the two different categories then? both lyrics and tabs...

thanks for any help

r2d2
06-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Id definitely go with a separate site if u are going to offer tabs - Ur domain name is for lyrics, stick with lyrics on that one - no one will take a guitar tab site seriously if it is just part of a lyrics site.

eMEraLdwPn
06-25-2004, 06:31 PM
i don't want to have "just a lyrics site" or "just a tabs site", i want to have an entire music community, so to speak

r2d2
06-26-2004, 02:20 AM
Maybe get a new domain then? musicallysquared.com?

incka
06-26-2004, 03:34 AM
Will you sell your lyrics database? I can pay good money.

Chris
06-26-2004, 06:43 AM
A seperate domain would make it easier to promote the sites independently.

chromate
06-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Just a thought... do you not worry about copyrights?

You will also have to compete with olga.net, which will be hard.

eMEraLdwPn
06-26-2004, 09:53 AM
i think i figured out how i could set it up on two different domains but essentially have it as the same site

incka: maybe, but a lot of the songs are copied from other places on the internet just like on all the other lyrics sites...

chromate: why would i worry about copyrights? there are hundreds or thousands of lyrics sites, none of which i know are currently in any trouble with any artists or record companies, and even if they decided to start coming after the lyrics sites, there's probably about 50 that would get shut down before mine... so no, i'm not worried at all

chromate
06-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Yeah, it's not likely. But I'd be worried about putting so much effort into something which could potentially be chopped. Reason I ask is that I was thinking about starting up a Beatles fan site, but whilst researching I found some were being shut down by Yoko Ono, no less! :) Haha. I may start one for the hell of it anyway and just see how it goes.

eMEraLdwPn
06-26-2004, 10:14 AM
i remember the very first decent lyrics site, probably about 8 or 9 years ago, had a lot of legal problems and was finally shut down... but after that they lyrics sites started popping up more and more ... i've seen a few cases a while ago where certain artists would ask to have their lyrics removed from the page (apparently it's illegal to display good charlotte lyrics), but i haven't seen an entire site being shut down since that first one a long, long time ago

incka
06-26-2004, 11:11 AM
I know, I just need a large database of them