PDA

View Full Version : AWS + cacheing questions

tomek
06-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Hi all!

I use pear cache lite (php) with my aws book shop and got some questions:

1) how long do you cache your results?
2) how big is your cache in total?
3) do you let your cache simply grow and grow and grow or do you physically remove cache files from time to time? (if yes: with a script or "by hand"?)
4) Does cache lite have some way to physically delete (unlink) files?
5) anyone of you ever had a problem with the 1 query/second rule?
6) how well does google's adsense perform when embedded within aws-book pages?

that's all for now :D

tomek
06-24-2004, 04:10 PM
7) I sell about 3-8 books a day currently: my impression is that you can't make alot of money with books and I thought of adding "electronic" articles

I guess you generally sell less compared to books but you get a higher commission -
what's your experience with that? ;)

chrispian
06-24-2004, 08:24 PM
My sites get over-run with cache lite files. I've had to setup cron jobs to delete them every 15 minutes or the site will jump to 300+ megs in 15 minutes. I just don't have the space to cache right now. However, I in my ideal setup I would set all my sites to use the same cache folder on my own dedicated server and give them around 1 gig or so for caching, or even 10 gigs if need be. I would then run a cron job and delete files older than X (whatever I have my cache time set too).

Chris
06-24-2004, 08:52 PM
I don't get it. I use a global cache directory for most of my AWS sites (all the standalone ones) and it is 10megs top. It has a load of files, but only around 10megs.

Doesn't it automatically overwrite old files with new ones as well?

tomek
06-25-2004, 12:47 AM
chris, what language/script do you use for cacheing?

my cache grows ~ +20 megs a day... :confused:

tomek
06-25-2004, 12:57 AM
does anyone know how many (cache) files you can have in one folder before you get a (performance or otherwise) problem on a linux server?

chromate
06-25-2004, 05:42 AM
I use cache lite. I can't say I've checked, but I haven't had any noticeable problems. It should overwrite the old cache files with the new instead of constantly growing.

I would say that adsense on a book shop wont perform that well, because books are so cheap.

tomek
06-25-2004, 06:03 AM
chromate: yes, it does overwrite "out-of-date" cache files
but when search engines crawl the shop they are constantly crawling new books and therefore creating new cache files - that's why the cache grows and grows...

and I only got 500 megs webspace...
my cache is currently 140 megs but growing fast...

Chris
06-25-2004, 06:20 AM
I use cache lite.

chromate
06-25-2004, 10:05 AM
tomek, If it gets a problem, then don't cache. It shouldn't be a problem. The speed isn't too bad anyway.

tomek
06-25-2004, 11:42 AM
in my experience aws is unreliable and good response times are essential - so I really do think cacheing is important...

chrispian
06-25-2004, 04:04 PM
I use cache lite as well. It over writes the old files, sure, but if you have 1,000 individual pages viewed that's 1,000 cache files. I'm using the tutorial found on Website Publisher. Once google started hitting my site I couldn't get rid of the cache files fast enough. I put up 2 new stores yesterday and they only link to 2-3 nodes each an I'm already over 14 megs.