PDA

View Full Version : Google WebSearch plus AdSense and more

mobilebadboy
06-17-2004, 06:30 PM
WebSearch plus AdSense for search

AdSense now offers the ability to monetize web and site search! WebSearch plus AdSense for search combines Google's powerful search with monetized and customizable search results pages. Simply placing the code on any web page that meets our program criteria will generate a WebSearch box, allowing users to search without leaving your site, and providing additional revenue for you.

AdSense preview tool

The AdSense preview tool is an exciting new tool that's loaded with features. Use it to preview the ads that would appear on any web page, from a number of geographic regions. Test out color combinations. Click through to advertiser sites without generating invalid clicks, and easily add their URLs to your URL filter list.

For the full scoop, please read the Google AdSense Preview Tool FAQ at https://www.google.com/adsense/previewtool.

Other improvements

In addition to the new features above, we've added the following improvements to your account:

More channels! You can now create up to 50 active channels for each of AdSense and WebSearch, for a total of 100 channels across your site.
New ad format - the new half banner is a 234x60 horizontal banner, available for text ad units.

https://www.google.com/adsense/new

chrispian
06-17-2004, 08:27 PM
These are great improvements. The site search is way better than my in house search so this could really prove useful.

incka
06-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Looks good, I'm making 'The Great British Search' and I'll probably make an international one and a european one too...

ozgression
06-17-2004, 11:53 PM
Interesting changes... Anyone have a working example of the websearch?
________
Mercury Sable specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mercury_Sable)

incka
06-18-2004, 12:08 AM
On my hard drive, but not on the web.

mobilebadboy
06-18-2004, 12:30 AM
I've got the websearch setup on my resources page, http://visualintensity.com/resources/. I left the site search off. Adsense gives separate reporting on it too, as well as it's own setup/channels/etc, just like you get for the regular ads.

I did make 2 small changes to it (not changes really, just additions). I hope since it's just basic HTML, Google won't pitch a fit.

Mike
06-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Looks good. I'm glad they've done this, now I don't have to go to the trouble of signing up to the searchfeed publisher account.

mobilebadboy
06-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Just for the record:

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for your email. Currently, we do not allow publishers to
pre-populate the search field of our new WebSearch feature. We kindly ask
that you refrain from modifying the WebSearch code in this way. We
appreciate your understanding.

Please feel free to email us at adsense-support@google.com if you have
additional questions or concerns. For technical support, please email
adsense-tech@google.com.

Sincerely,

Josh
The Google Team

I think it's kind of silly you can't do that, but even after doing it, I decided I better email them and ask about it. Well, I guess the few searches I actually did get with my populated search will now go to nil.

Chris
06-21-2004, 07:36 PM
That makes it much less attractive.

cameron
06-21-2004, 09:45 PM
You only earn anything for clicks on ads on the results page, right?

mobilebadboy
06-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Right. They can search and search, but it's just like regular Adsense. Unless they click on a paid link, you make nothing.

cameron
06-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Ok. It is kind of weird that they don't allow pre-populated search boxes then. With search programs like Searchtraffic, is makes sense to only allow cetain terms because they are paying a flat rate per click through, but with adsense they pay based on the ad.

Dan Morgan
08-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Apart from the pre population issue - I take it you are free to modify the HTML of the initial search box?

I wish they would allow you to frame the results, being restrictive with the logo size and even the alignment of it really does give the user a more than obvious 3rd party feeling. I also wish the paid ads were not so obvious in the sites own domain search. Web search fair enough but on some screen setups you can only just see my sites organic results.

Anyone have any success/failure stories?

intelliot
08-24-2004, 11:30 PM
for revenue I would call it a failure. despite a CTR over 6%, websearch plus adsense delivers CPC rates well below that of adsense to deliver pitiful earnings for me.

however it is also providing a service to visitors, and for that reason i will keep it.

lz83ny
08-25-2004, 02:34 PM
I'm using google adsense and am pretty happy with it. So far I made $60 and I started 2 weeks ago.

intelliot
08-25-2004, 09:59 PM
are you using websearch plus adsense or just adsense contexual ads?

moonshield
08-31-2004, 02:03 PM
using the websearch, the clickthrough rate is much higher maybe 80%, at least on one of my old sites.