PDA

View Full Version : Affiliate site removed from yahoo

Kyle
06-13-2004, 02:14 AM
My affiliate site was removed from Yahoo. I was ranking in the top 3 on important SERPs, but SonicShopper.com is now gone after being in Yahoo over 2 years. I thought it was important to share this with other webmasters.

Fun stuff.

Chris
06-13-2004, 07:34 AM
Was it a paid or unpaid listing?

mobilebadboy
06-13-2004, 07:41 AM
Huh? You may have dropped in the SERPS but I see 588 pages listed.

Kyle
06-13-2004, 04:00 PM
It's basically gone.. you're right it's still indexed. However, search Yahoo on sonicshopper (one word). Considering it's the only site with that name, it doesnt show up in the top 20. Trust me, Yahoo has applied whatever "affiliate penalty" they do.

What does show up when you search on sonicshopper is shoppingwithjulie, a site that hasn't existed for weeks that used to link to me. Also showing up is websitepublisher.net.

So mobilebadboy, you're right. It's still "indexed", but not really.

mobilebadboy
06-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Yeah, you're right. With the .com it's there, but not without it.

Kyle
06-13-2004, 05:35 PM
I think it might be some automated system that looks for affiliate related links (like qksrv.net for commission junction). My content rich site, Survive Outdoors, still ranks well on the SERPs I target. However, I have a shopping section on Survive Outdoors that has a bunch of affiliate pages (www.surviveoutdoors.com/shopping). This now doesn't rank at all.. even on really specific keyword phrases that have no competition.

At least they didnt "downrank" all of the site.

Chris
06-13-2004, 09:21 PM
To test your theory I'd look at coupon searches since they usually have mountains of affiliate links. See if the sites ranked well use redirects (like I do).

incka
06-13-2004, 11:41 PM
On a similar note, yahoo owned Overture dropped a few of my listings because I was linking directly to the affiliate URL - Now I've got to somehow put the affiliate page on my own server, and send the info made to azoogle so I get the commision...

chromate
06-14-2004, 04:19 AM
Best way to do this Incka is to create a landing page on your server with some explination of what you're promoting and then put the affiliate link on that page. Obviously, make sure the copy is good or you will lose sales purely because there's an extra click involved.

incka
06-14-2004, 09:17 AM
Azoogle are making one identical to theres but with the text I want for it and sending it in a zip to me...

chromate
06-14-2004, 09:37 AM
wow. Azoogle are quite accommodating aren't they.