PDA

View Full Version : 10-20 Million Hits

thebillionaire
06-06-2004, 04:50 PM
How is it possible to get that many page views in a month, because the google premium service ask's for atlease 10 million view a month. What are some sites ot than search engines, amazon, and about that get this many hits?

Chris
06-07-2004, 07:18 AM
Lots. Thats not that many nowadays.

incka
06-07-2004, 08:07 AM
AddictingGames.com gets 15 million visitors a month, and about 10 page view a visitor. You can look at extreme tracker... So I can't see it being that hard to get that much...

The New Guy
06-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Incka: how much bandwidth does that eat?

mobilebadboy
06-07-2004, 02:08 PM
teamphotoshop.com get's many millions a month. He's slowed many servers at MediaTemple to where not too long ago he had to move to an appliance server.

thebillionaire
06-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Incka whats the site for extreme tracker?

How does addicting games get somay page views it doesn't have that good of a layout.

cameron
06-07-2004, 03:15 PM
How does addicting games get somay page views it doesn't have that good of a layout.

You don't know the layout of a page until you view it. Anyway, the layout is still simple and easy to navigate. If your site topic is something that is in high demand, and you are near the top of that category in search engines, etc. it wouldn't be hard to get that much traffic. Starting a site now in one of those categories though, and building it up to be one of the best and highest ranking could be tough because there are lots of competing sites of the same genre.

incka
06-07-2004, 11:26 PM
If you go on the site, www.addictinggames.com, and scroll down to the copyright bar at the bottom there will be a blue dot you can click on...

davesplace1
10-13-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm glad lots of sites are getting 10-20 million hits a month. Gives me something to look forward to :)

Emancipator
10-13-2004, 01:02 PM
geese i only wish i had that kinda traffic... lol.

James
10-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Wow, Incka, I never knew that you got that many!
I thought that site was only pulling in 8,000 uniques per day--not hundreds of thousands. I, too, want to know how much bandwidth it takes.

moonshield
10-13-2004, 01:21 PM
wow, i am hoping for all my sites, together, to get that kind of traffic. Is it a profitable venture?

Kyle
10-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Wow, Incka, I never knew that you got that many!
I thought that site was only pulling in 8,000 uniques per day--not hundreds of thousands. I, too, want to know how much bandwidth it takes.

I don't think incka owns AddictingGames.com.

moonshield
10-13-2004, 01:49 PM
I don't think incka owns AddictingGames.com.
me thinks your right

moonshield
10-13-2004, 01:49 PM
does anyone here get that kind of traffic for one site?

Kyle
10-13-2004, 01:57 PM
The value of traffic is whats important. Of course, when we're talking about 300,000 unique visits a day, thats always valuable. I only receive 6000 to 8000 unique visitors a day, but its very valuable.

moonshield
10-13-2004, 02:14 PM
icebane, how many sites do you have?

Kyle
10-13-2004, 02:15 PM
A few, but only the one in my signature matters as it is my official business.

Mike
10-13-2004, 02:17 PM
Yes, as Icebane says the value of traffic is most important. Take for example if you had a loan site or something. 1,000 uniques a day could make you more than 30,000 could on a different type of site because of the high rate on adsense.

AndyH
10-13-2004, 02:55 PM
I get approx. 1.2million page views per day on one of my sites.

However the page views per visitor is high.

michael_gersitz
10-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Incka owns addicating-games.net not the other site.

moonshield
10-13-2004, 03:21 PM
AndyH... how much bandwidth does that take up?

Chris
10-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Bandwidth and earnings are both variable. Alot of graphics or downloads = more bandwidth.

Game sites, hot or not sites, general entertainment sites, joke sites, these all have low earning potential but high traffic potential.

thebillionaire
10-13-2004, 07:23 PM
I have to disagree I tend to thing that entertainment sites have the most potential do to the large amount of traffic, though it may be hard at first if you have a shared host, but once you enough money to afford a dedicated host, It becomes 1000x easier.

AndyH
10-13-2004, 10:22 PM
AndyH... how much bandwidth does that take up?

~12GB/day

I can't give exact figures as AwStats fails to update after 4 days because the log is too big to process and I get slack with clearing the log files.

I have to disagree I tend to thing that entertainment sites have the most potential do to the large amount of traffic, though it may be hard at first if you have a shared host, but once you enough money to afford a dedicated host, It becomes 1000x easier.

Entertainment sites and gaming sites earn less as visitors are not looking to purchase something, which mostly rules out affiliate marketing. Obviously there are some instances where a visitor would be willing to purchase something, such as after reading a game review or viewing a game trailer they may want to buy the game. But another major factor against these sites are that alot of their visitors do not have a CC or a means to purchase anything.

So that means if only a small % of your visitors will purchase something, then the only way to make some decent money is via advertisements on a CPM or CPC rate. But most of the time each visitor will consume alot more bandwidth then they are earing for the website by viewing the advertisements.

eMEraLdwPn
10-13-2004, 11:01 PM
how much do you guys pay for bandwith? when i get a dedicated server it's going to be something like $150 a month for as much as 1000 gigs per month, which i'm nowhere even close to using now

Mike
10-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Andy, is Hellbored your big site? Where does most of your traffic come from, because it's only a PR3?

Kyle
10-13-2004, 11:44 PM
Andy, is Hellbored your big site? Where does most of your traffic come from, because it's only a PR3?

I would guess AndyH is referring to his game HoboWars and the hundreds of impressions a given player might generate in one sitting.

AndyH
10-14-2004, 12:01 AM
how much do you guys pay for bandwith? when i get a dedicated server it's going to be something like $150 a month for as much as 1000 gigs per month, which i'm nowhere even close to using now

I have 5 servers, each with 1,000+ GB bandwidth each. Bandwidth is not the bottleneck for me.

Nope, HellBored I am going to be slowly working on over the next 6 months to make into a hopefully successful lots-of-things-in-one portal, currently it makes no money and doesn't get much traffic (120 unique/day).

I have been so side tracked with things lately, I really need to get my act together and find some people to pay to get movie trailers, game trailers and demos, write game reviews, previews etc. All in good time ;).

moonshield
10-14-2004, 06:08 AM
that is awesome... 5 servers! 1000+ GB Bandwidth a month... Are they all mirrors of each other or are they different servers for each site? Do you host the site on your own or have it hosted

incka
10-14-2004, 08:15 AM
You will never use the bandwidth the server gives you - If you're after a high traffic site get a high spec server.

AndyH
10-14-2004, 02:46 PM
that is awesome... 5 servers! 1000+ GB Bandwidth a month... Are they all mirrors of each other or are they different servers for each site? Do you host the site on your own or have it hosted

It is one main site per server. I put all the AWS sites on one server though.

One of my sites needs to servers (frontend and database server).

I lease all the servers from America, here in Australia it is way too pricey to get a connection anywhere near "decent" which could be used for hosting websites.

Though it is a goal of mine for possibly a few years down the track when decent connections are a reasonable price to buy servers and put them in my house. Far way off though.

You will never use the bandwidth the server gives you - If you're after a high traffic site get a high spec server.
Actually, if you have a popular site offering game trailers, demos etc I would think it was very possible that you could go over your bandwidth limit.

However if it got to that stage a 10MBPS server isn't that exspensive if you need it.

The New Guy
10-14-2004, 03:02 PM
What do you consider the bottle neck to be, if not bandwidth?

AndyH
10-14-2004, 06:25 PM
Processor/RAM.

Anat
10-29-2004, 01:11 PM
I have to agree with Andy. I see the same thing with my websites. I have plenty of bandwidth to spare (with 1200 GB a month). I will have to move on to a stronger server long before I run out of bandwidth.

About users taking up more resources then what advertising brings in - wouldn't that be more for the database/processor/graphic intense games? Wouldn't you see something else with a popular jokes site?

James
10-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Yes, unless the jokes site has poor CTR which they often do.

Cutter
10-31-2004, 05:39 PM
You would really have to be doing something wrong to use up more resources than advertising. I know of several sites that have 5-10mb+ movie clip downloads, tons and tons of traffic, and they are still making very good money.

I suspect its possible, if every visitor is download tons of content without the page views. It took me a long time to figure out why game download sites made you click through about 3 pages before you could download the actual file. Now I know.