PDA

View Full Version : So, What do you think about the site?

Chris
04-30-2003, 12:24 PM
Have a complaint? A suggestion? I'd love to hear it.

Mike
05-03-2003, 11:52 AM
No complaints! Fantastic website, and in my opinion, a lot better than Sitepoint (am I allowed to say that?).

As for suggestions - just get a few more articles up. I've read each one now, need something else to kill time!

Hope this helps,
Mike

Chris
05-03-2003, 04:35 PM
I'll be adding atleast an article a day for the month of May.

snaip
05-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike
No complaints! Fantastic website, and in my opinion, a lot better than Sitepoint (am I allowed to say that?).

Sure! ;)

What really great here, is that there is a follow up of content from basic - advance. Compared to other sites, there is a whole range of content, that might be target to only a group.

Great work Chris! :)

beley
05-03-2003, 10:31 PM
I love the site! I think you should add the quick reply mod to the forum though... it sure does save a lot of time.

toni
05-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Excellent site, plent of great information.

I have 1 complaint:

I've been reading "how to build a successful website". Each time I finish a section, I have to hit the back button to get to the next section.

Other than that, its good stuff.
Take care,
Toni

Chris
05-04-2003, 06:25 AM
Sorry about that Toni, the site is really article driven and the guide is nothing but one page that links to a bunch of articles.

You could just click on the successful website link on the left menu when you're done with a certain section.

Is the quick reply hack a standard vb hack Brandon?

beley
05-04-2003, 07:08 AM
AFAIK, I got it off Vbulletin.org which is the defacto standard for all things vbulletin. It works great on my site - I've been using it for some time now. Webhostingtalk uses it also, though I think they modified it just a little.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=34597&highlight=quick+reply

There is the link to the thread but I've attached the hack too (it's just a text file)

Chris
05-04-2003, 07:39 AM
Thanks

Chris
05-04-2003, 08:19 AM
Well the quick reply hack is installed

beley
05-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Does it work???

beley
05-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Wow... cool! Great job... that makes it MUCH easier to reply to posts!

Mike
05-04-2003, 10:12 AM
Yep, great new addition...

Just a little question Chris - will the articles that you are going to add, concentrate on different subjects than the ones already here? Or are we likely to see some more about SEO (*hoping*).

toni
05-04-2003, 10:35 AM
I like the quick reply...if a board has it, its all I use.

I see what you mean about the articles Chris. It won't be a problem after I finish reading the whole site...becuase then Ill only be reading the articles as they are posted.

Chris
05-04-2003, 10:36 AM
Right now here is what is planned:

1. Article on buying advertising by someone
2. More ecommerce stuff written by brandon
3. Some more php tutorials and quite a few technical book reviews
4. faking a graphical link (kinda seo, by me)
5. SEO checklist (me)
6. extensive tutorial on images/graphics/design
7. the css article you said you'd write
8. cold fusion primer

Mike
05-04-2003, 10:37 AM
All sounds good:)

Mike
05-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Just another thing:

If you don't mind me asking, how many hits/uniques/impressions you got so far just from search engines?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Chris
05-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Very very little. The site really isn't in any search engines yet, and likely will not be until June.

emke
05-04-2003, 02:11 PM
The site looks great and has already a lot of interesting articles. If you keep up with adding new articles like you plan the site is going to be excellent.

I have some articles about domains (transfering domains, etc) that I wrote a while ago for a site that I never finished. Chris, if you're interested I could send them to you?

Chris
05-04-2003, 02:34 PM
Sure I'm interested.

beley
05-04-2003, 04:30 PM
I think it's a good thing the site isn't getting a lot of uniques just yet... it gives us some time to get some quality content in before the visitors start arriving. Who wants to get here and only see a handful of articles?

Chris
05-06-2003, 07:16 PM
I increased the "Recent Articles" list on the homepage to 10, what do you think?

Mike
05-07-2003, 08:14 AM
Didn't look right when I first saw it, but now I have got used to it a little I really like it. It will show new users how much the site has to offer, and get the 'latest forum news' down the screen a little - which isn't very important at the moment.

But having all of those articles does produce a lot of text on the screen, perhaps you could have tiny pictures of some description next to them? If not, then it doesn't make the site look any worse, just makes it look like a 'heavy content' one.

snaip
05-07-2003, 09:09 PM
While for some users, 'heavy content' sites look great, I prefer simple sites, with easy navigation. Some sites (usually portal type sites) have so much links on the front page, that you don't know where to start! Users feel frustrated when they are presented with many links. It's better to KISS! ;)

Chris
05-08-2003, 04:48 AM
I figured I needed more links on the home page for SEO reasons. I was thinking about adding little boxes of links to the subcategories of the various sections.

snaip
05-08-2003, 07:18 AM
That would be a great idea Chris.... But first you need to make sure that all the subcategories has some content in them...

Mike
05-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Yeah, would be good that... Isn't there a category which already has that, named contents or something?

Percept
05-28-2003, 02:52 AM
Very interesting site Chris, I don't think it's better then SitePoint because I don't think you can compare them really.

Sitepoint is great if you have a dezvelopment problem, Websitepublisher is great to get some good insight in what to expect when starting a website.

Anyway , keep it up I'll be waiting for all those articles :)

Mike
05-28-2003, 05:38 AM
It won't be as good as Sitepoint. Sitepoint has over 24,000 members and quite a few of them contribute to articles etc. Also, Sitepoint was started with more than one man.

If you ask me, WebsitePublisher would be upto Sitepoint's quality if it gets at least one article a day - and perhaps more forum members.

For me though, I prefer WebsitePublisher...

Percept
05-28-2003, 06:16 AM
Mike , it's not like SP is adding one article a day. They add new articles every 3-4 days I think.

The content here is just enormeous , I've learned so much allready in the last HOURE.

Only thing that is not 100% is the design but it's acceptable ( don't want to sound rude Chris , it's just that design is my thing )

Mike
05-28-2003, 06:22 AM
I know, they don't. But to get it a little larger, Websitepublisher probably does for a little while.

And I agree with you about the content. I managed to get a temporary listing of 3rd for 'best website templates' yesterday. This is because I have read Chris's articles over and over again.

To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with the design. I really like the menu style, and it's a content site meant to help you - not a site that needs a top quality design.

Percept
05-28-2003, 06:27 AM
Yeah I know but I'm a webdesigner so in my head everything needs a Top quality design , it's the first thing I look at even before content. Site's like Slashdot for instance don't have a chance with me because of design ( or lack thereof ), I close them before you can say "blink".

Mike
05-28-2003, 06:28 AM
Whats wrong with this design?

Percept
05-28-2003, 06:32 AM
I can only talk on behalf of myself so things I don't like might be appealing to you Mike and vice versa. It's hard having a discussion about design.

Mike
05-28-2003, 06:33 AM
Point taken.

Don't suppose you have a portfolio or anything I can browse through? I am real bored and need something to do:D

Percept
05-28-2003, 06:35 AM
I'll Pm you.

Mike
05-28-2003, 06:36 AM
Cheers:)

Forgot about the guidelines:p

Chris
05-28-2003, 07:49 AM
He could post his porfolio... I don't care...

I didn't do this design actually. It was a template I bought from Liz Fulghum. She posts at SP and DO under the name "rabbitdog"

I edited it some though. Changed the color from orange to red for instance. But the base design is hers.

Mike
05-28-2003, 08:25 AM
Still like it, I think it's real clever how the menu is combined with the middle of the page.

Do you buy most of your designs?

Chris
05-28-2003, 08:34 AM
Eh... it depends... lately its been like half and half.

Chris
06-03-2003, 06:37 PM
I've changed the frontpage some... its now got more category links. This was necessary for SEO (or whatever the most recent articles were would have gotten too large of a boost from being on the front page).

incka
08-23-2003, 05:33 AM
I've got one suggestion. Change the 30 seconds between replys to 15 or 20 seconds because sometimes I reply to another thread really fast after replying to the first.