PDA

View Full Version : Google refusing to visit a site

mobilebadboy
06-05-2004, 03:04 PM
I run a site for a group at my church and previously Google had crawled and indexed the site, even with a bad layout, an image map menu (I didn't think Google could follow an image map) and just no optimization whatsoever.

A few weeks ago I redesigned the site and not once has Google even set foot back to the site. MSN's been there, Yahoo's been there, Teoma's been there...multiple times...but not Google. I'm not even sure when the last time Google actually visited because I cleared out the old stats when I uploaded the new design.

I'd like to get the new URLs indexed in, but I'm not sure what to do.

Chris
06-05-2004, 05:20 PM
Just wait, if its only been a couple weeks it hasn't been long enough. You did resubmit right?

mobilebadboy
06-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Yeah I resubmited back in early May when I uploaded the new design.

I guess with near zero wait time on every other site I run, this seems odd.

Chris
06-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Iti s odd if you resubmitted, still, I would give it more time (try submitting again too).

mobilebadboy
06-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Yeah I was going to wait a little while before I submitted again, didn't want to push my luck by submitting too many times close together.

thebillionaire
06-06-2004, 09:28 AM
How do you tell what search engines have been to your sites?

mobilebadboy
08-18-2004, 01:25 PM
I thought I'd rebump this topic instead of starting a new one. I sort of forgot about it until now.

Google still will not revisit this site, even after resubmitting it. Yahoo has been back consistently, and the site even now ranks #1 on Yahoo for Hannah's Hope. That's not the keywords I'm after, but it's a start. It did come back once, and updated all of the Titles with the front page title, because my 404 redirects to the home page, but the URLs are all still old.

This isn't the only site Google refuses to revisit after a long period of time (months) but it's the one I'm concerned about now because the people I run it for constantly ask me why it's nowhere to be found.

The other I can fix by linking it from my site and getting it hit within a couple of hours. But this particular one I don't because I don't want my site showing up as a backlink, for various reasons.

The site is http://hannahshope.org. And I really need to figure this out. It has no backlinks that show, but I have other sites with no backlinks that get crawled often, so I know that can't be the problem.

r2d2
08-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Could maybe try removing Mediapartners-Google from the robots.txt, I know its not the googlebot, but just an idea...

mobilebadboy
08-18-2004, 04:22 PM
That's always been there, but I'll try anything at this point.

With Google, I guess I should just be happy the site exists. It's pretty much removed, or nearly deminished every site I own to near nothing. I guess they're afraid I'll quit my PPC if they keep my sites listed and I can attain a decent ranking of ANY kind.

James
08-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Google doesn't operate like that.

Try to get some links from other church websites, and to get listed in a few directories.

lorien1973
10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Put an adsense ad on the site. Visit the page every now and again. If it starts displaying ads, google has spidered it and acknowledged its presence. Best way to get the bot to visit though; is to get inbound links to it.

Chris
10-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Adsense's bot is different from the search bot.