PDA

View Full Version : I need to write an article

Chris
05-27-2004, 10:06 AM
I need to write an article, any ideas? This site hasn't had one published in awhile so I need to write something. I was working on a general ecommerce tips article, things to know when starting your site, but its very basic.

mobilebadboy
05-27-2004, 10:25 AM
datafeeds? What they are, where to get them, how to manage them, pros/cons, etc.

adwords? improving CTR, effective ad writing, tips, tricks, etc. I've thought about this one myself, it just wouldn't fit in on my site. As far as I remember you only have a small snippet about Adwords in the "3 PPC programs reviewed" article.

I'm sure I could come up with other ideas. Those are just off the top of my head.

MattM
05-27-2004, 11:13 AM
I remember you mentioned that you were going to write one about setting up a site using AllPosters affiliate feed.

chromate
05-27-2004, 11:21 AM
I think there have been enough datafeed articles on here for a while. Here are some that would get people's attention and could be very interesting if done well.

1) Copywriting to boost conversion rates.
2) How to optimise your design for higher clickthrough ratios.
3) Drive traffic to your site without relying on search engines.
4) Get the best rates for your USD cheques in the UK (bank roundup with rates etc)

incka
05-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Do articles on getting PR, Wikipedia.org links, DMOZ high categories, etc.

Also the USD cheques too, I'm getting a rate of over 2 when the BofE rate is about 1.8...

mobilebadboy
05-27-2004, 11:29 AM
I mut be looking at another site. I've seen one datafeed article, and that's related to creating a datafeed for Froogle.

chromate
05-27-2004, 11:34 AM
The obtaining PR thing has been a bit exhausted I think. Need something a little more fresh and interesting.

I could perhaps write an article for any of the above (that I listed), because they're all things that interest me. I'm a little strapped for time at the moment though, so there would be a small wait. :/ Do you get paid for writing articles on here? ;) That could speed me up a bit. haha

chromate
05-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Mobilebadboy, well there's a couple of AWS articles on here already and (I think) one on the way from Chris about using the allposters feed. Once you've got an article on using a CSV style feed and an XML / Web Services feed, then that can be applied to virtually anything. But yeah, maybe a general overview of datafeeds.

incka
05-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Chromate - If exclusive you get your share of 50% of the sites earnings.

chromate
05-27-2004, 11:52 AM
I thought you had to produce a certain number of articles a month to be entitled to that? And also, generally, how much would that be? :)

incka
05-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Ask Chris not me...

r2d2
05-27-2004, 12:03 PM
You have to write an article a month. Then after 3 months you get:

Your total articles
----------------- * monthly revenue * 0.5
Total site articles

I think - I asked a while ago...

Mike
05-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Something about improving conversion rates, or a detailed article on deciding what topic to use for an ecommerce site would be good.

Chris
05-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Ya its about like what r2d2 said. Right now its not much, but eventually it could be.

incka
05-27-2004, 02:15 PM
But as more visitors come, and more earnings come, more articles will be written by people wanting a piece of the pie, so earnings won't increase much, and could even decrease.

paul
05-27-2004, 02:50 PM
It's lots easier to sign up than to write an article. So i'll bet earnings will increase.

Nerveman
05-31-2004, 11:13 AM
How about updating some of your old articles/reviews. There have been a lot of changes with the search engine companies in the last year, and some of your articles are now misleading.

Chris
05-31-2004, 03:41 PM
Which ones are misleading? My advice is generally timeless and is not affected by algorithm changes. Unless you talking about the articles where I talk about the search engine companies, that have since been bought/merged/etc.

incka
06-01-2004, 04:14 AM
I think you need to update some of your adnetwork ones, as fastclick have brought out new formats, Azoogle are about to launch CPM and Casale Media have just launched leaderboards and skys...

Nerveman
06-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Chris,
Yes I was talking about the search engine companies, PPC options, etc...