PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a better search engine ranking.

Chris
04-30-2003, 11:07 AM
The tips presented in this post may not work or even be feasible for every site. However, if you want a better search engine ranking, you should implement as many tips as you can. To submit a new tip PM me.

1. Replace your graphical menu with a text one. [submitted by Chris]

If your site current has a graphical menu, get rid of it. Text based menus are far superior for search engine especially if you want to increase the rankings of the pages linked to from the menu. Because most of the incoming links for those pages will be from your menu and because the context of your incoming links is vitally important, changing your menu from graphical to text based will significantly help the rankings if your subpages. This is of course assuming that the menu links use keywords as their anchor text.

2. Add two instances of your keywords in your homepage, or whichever page you’re working on. [submitted by Chris]

Any site should be able to do this, and its pretty simple to do. No matter how many times you already repeat your keywords on your homepage, do it two more times. You might need to be creative, but if you follow the steps in this article (http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/effective_content/) you should be able to pull it off.

3. Get more incoming links. [submitted by Chris]

You can never spend too much time working on incoming links. You can search for your keywords on Google and check the backwards links of the #1 site and get all those people to link to you as well. You can search on Google for “submit URL” or “add site” or other variations and your keywords to find more places to submit your site. So spend an afternoon working on your incoming links.

4. Submit more articles to directories. [submitted by Chris]

Find categories on DMOZ, Yahoo, and Zeal where you could submit individual articles. Chances are that not every article you have is listed in every directory, so you can always work on directory submissions. Don't spam the directories, but if you find an appropriate category for one of your articles, submit it. Spend another afternoon doing this.

5. Make sure everything has an alt or title attribute. [submitted by Chris]

Scour your site and make sure every image has an alt attribute and every link has a title attribute. Do not stop until you have checked every nook and cranny of your site.

6. - Find ways for users to comment on your content. Allow users to comment helps you keep the article/page fresh. Also, user interaction allows you to perfect your article in time, add improvements and corrections. Search engines like fresh content. [submitted by Kyle]

7. - Learning CSS can have an influence on your rankings. View the source code of a site created in tables. Notice how much extra HTML code is needed to accomplish content formation. Then look at a simple CSS site's code. Minimizing your source code is always a good start. [submitted by Kyle]

8. - Content placement. Try and keep your content and heading for the given page as close to the top of your source code as possible. Put your navigation code AFTER your content. In CSS you could move your navigation to the left, top, bottom, or right of your content while still keeping the actual code BELOW the content. [submitted by Kyle]

Prince
04-04-2007, 10:27 AM
4. Submit more articles to directories.

Find categories on DMOZ, Yahoo, and Zeal where you could submit individual articles. Chances are that not every article you have is listed in every directory, so you can always work on directory submissions. Don't spam the directories, but if you find an appropriate category for one of your articles, submit it. Spend another afternoon doing this.

DMOZ - seems like no one updates this thing anymore?

Yahoo - how do you submit an article? I have one in there but I did not submit it to them.

ZEAL - is gone isn't it?

Chris
04-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes, Zeal is gone.

Kyle
04-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm still learning how to read, just noticed Chris asked to PM him new tips :).

Prince
04-05-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm still learning how to read, just noticed Chris asked to PM him new tips :).

if he did not want any replies to this sticky he should have closed the thread. :idea:

ajin115
04-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Good information.

Nabeel
06-08-2007, 03:54 AM
Hi, This post is very informative, however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Turboculture
06-25-2007, 09:04 PM
:)

You can never spend too much time working on incoming links. You can search for your keywords on Google and check the backwards links of the #1 site and get all those people to link to you as well. You can search on Google for “submit URL” or “add site” or other variations and your keywords to find more places to submit your site. So spend an afternoon working on your incoming links.

Ok...I'm dumb can you walk me through this one a little more. :)

Billyray
06-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Ok if your website is fabulouswidgets . com (widgets being the keyword) then:
1. Do a search on google for "widgets".
2. grab the URL of the site that is first in the search results (eg: superdooperwidgets.com) then do a search on google for websites that link to that site by entering in google search: link:superdooperwidgets.com

[alternatively, if you have google toolbar, click the down arrow just to the right of the PageRank button on the toolbar and select "Backward Links".

That will show you some of the websites that link to that site.

Then approach those sites to get a link.

Turboculture
06-26-2007, 09:42 AM
^
l
l
l
Thanks!:D

lajocar
07-29-2007, 03:38 PM
very good post. Great tips for beginners

cooluks
09-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Great and very informative post....Nice article you've post here Chris...DMOZ and Zeal not more exisiting?

I think instead of submitting articles to this directories I will submit to other quality directories...Example is jayde and other directories which is also good directory....

top_barrister
09-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Very informative article on SEO. If I would like to know more, would you point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

Chris
09-28-2007, 05:27 AM
http://www.websitepublisher.net/seo-guide/

jasonk1234
11-08-2007, 01:14 PM
thank you for sharing, did you write this article yourself?

I spend alot of time working on #3

by the way bbmm1980 your site is interesting and very easy to maneaveur. I guess there really is a market for everything

talmid
11-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Thanks for your post!! very useful tips!!

jasonk1234
11-22-2007, 10:31 PM
number 6 says fresh content is key, would you say adding a new page once a month to a site could be considered fresh content? and if not then how much?

thanks for the advice

lee_vhoi_ol
11-29-2007, 11:04 AM
This is a good summary.

kenneth.robert
01-30-2008, 12:02 AM
thanks for your tips. your views is very important for good search engine ranking. thanks

kellyjohnson
02-04-2008, 02:59 AM
dear Chris

Hai chris let me take this opportunity to appreciate for your uesfull tips regarding SEO.

Thank you one & all.....

kenneth.robert
02-04-2008, 10:16 PM
thanks for sharing your views.

ericajoieake
02-28-2008, 09:32 AM
its a great and informative post and in addition you have to choose the directory you are submitting to, at least pr 3 and higher.

anklesnap
04-21-2008, 04:57 PM
www.thehoopdoctors.com just launched and i've noticed a ton of spiders from various search engines. Even the same ones repeatedly over the course of a couple hours. Is this a good thing, or does it mean the engines are having trouble reading my content or something?

Dr. Anklesnap

www.thehoopdoctors.com

daverolfe
06-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Hi everyone. this is my first post on this forum and would appreciate some straight forward guidance

I have recently created a website for a small sailing association that I am a member of (www.newbridge-nava.co.uk). Despite registering the site with Google, Yahoo and MSN I find that when searching for the site it does not appear, even if searching for 'newbridge-nava'

Chris (on this forum) has suggested replacing a graphics menu with a test menu but i am not sure what he means. Can anyone explain and make a few easy suggestions of what I can try to get our website to appear in the search results.

Cloughie
06-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Your website has a text menu already :)

Marshal
06-20-2008, 05:23 AM
Nice! This post is great and informative and also very useful tips.
Thanks for sharing your thought with us.
________
Medical marijuana patient (http://mmjp.org)

jubach
07-04-2008, 08:25 PM
what about blogs? how does search engines read blogs? if i get to have fresh contents, will the search engines focus only on new contents?

whirlybird20
07-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Very good article, however I believe there is one problem. You say that you should put your navigation menu after the content. Well I think that it is more important that google finds my menu, and indexes more of my pages, then it is that they find the content on one page and stop indexing before they get to the menu, or just pay less attention to it.

hans123
07-19-2008, 03:22 AM
very nice & really helpful info.... thanks a ton

achonu
10-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Thank you very much Chris for this valuable info.I am going to go to work with your ideas here.God bless you.

hairycaterpillar
12-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks Chris I'll be using those tips into my site structure and regular promotions.

Murtaza
05-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Great tips. Search engine ranking is a very important issue for webmasters. These tips will definitely help webmasters.

Laboratory Equipment Directory (http://www.laboratoryequipmentdir.com) | Arcus Dubai Property Broker (http://www.arcusproperties.com) | 5th Market – Stock & Bonds Directory (http://www.5thmarket.com) | Sports Wholesalers & Suppliers Directory (http://www.asportsdirectory.com)

robin_west
07-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Hi Chris. Thanks for the post I loved it, really great info.
Oh and by the way...
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know you could put in link: adomain.com on google to my competitors links.

TerryTurner
01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
In order to get a good rank in search engine you should optimize your blog properly. But that is only one of the way to get good ranking. You should furthermore do other things to confirm that your blog content get additional exposure.

Cathy Duncan
01-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Well, thanks for these healthy tips. I am also of the view that in order to get your site or blog ranked on top during searches, you must do proper SEO like article submission to directories and free blogs, bookmarking, blogging, selection of relevant keywords and lot more other related things. Best of luck to you all!

Clark M
01-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Great Post. :)

Thanks
ClarkM

SEOArbiter
01-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Great post--this will help many get their own rankings. The important thing is that you are using both on page and off page SEO to get your site ranked. These need to get go hand-in-hand in order to be effective.

NYY13
05-26-2011, 11:14 AM
sweet man thanks for all the tips. hopefully these will help me get my site a higher ranking

NYY13
05-26-2011, 11:19 AM
sweet man thanks for all the tips. hopefully these will help me get my site a higher ranking

NYY13
05-26-2011, 11:21 AM
sweet man thanks for all the tips.

NYY13
05-26-2011, 11:22 AM
sweet man thanks

melo
12-13-2011, 01:34 AM
I am learning SEO,Your views is very important for good search engine ranking. thanks ,very
Netbook E-Book:Netbook E-Book (hhttp://www.gigxon.com/Wholesale-high-density-camcorders_c16),Spy Cameras:Spy Cameras (http://www.gigxon.com),High Density Camcorders :High Density Camcorders (http://www.gigxon.com/Wholesale-high-density-camcorders_c16)

belicosa
07-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Thankssss! try my blog belicosa.com.br

kewldude
07-17-2013, 05:21 AM
thanks for the tips

WebOutGateway
09-26-2013, 10:28 PM
The tips presented in this post may not work or even be feasible for every site. However, if you want a better search engine ranking, you should implement as many tips as you can. To submit a new tip PM me.

If your site current has a graphical menu, get rid of it. Text based menus are far superior for search engine especially if you want to increase the rankings of the pages linked to from the menu. Because most of the incoming links for those pages will be from your menu and because the context of your incoming links is vitally important, changing your menu from graphical to text based will significantly help the rankings if your subpages. This is of course assuming that the menu links use keywords as their anchor text.

2. Add two instances of your keywords in your homepage, or whichever page you’re working on. [submitted by Chris]

Any site should be able to do this, and its pretty simple to do. No matter how many times you already repeat your keywords on your homepage, do it two more times. You might need to be creative, but if you follow the steps in this article (http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/effective_content/) you should be able to pull it off.

Scour your site and make sure every image has an alt attribute and every link has a title attribute. Do not stop until you have checked every nook and cranny of your site.

6. - Find ways for users to comment on your content. Allow users to comment helps you keep the article/page fresh. Also, user interaction allows you to perfect your article in time, add improvements and corrections. Search engines like fresh content. [submitted by Kyle]

7. - Learning CSS can have an influence on your rankings. View the source code of a site created in tables. Notice how much extra HTML code is needed to accomplish content formation. Then look at a simple CSS site's code. Minimizing your source code is always a good start. [submitted by Kyle]

8. - Content placement. Try and keep your content and heading for the given page as close to the top of your source code as possible. Put your navigation code AFTER your content. In CSS you could move your navigation to the left, top, bottom, or right of your content while still keeping the actual code BELOW the content. [submitted by Kyle]

Why does it generate a better search engine ranking? This is because it caters a better experience for the users of the search engines.

1. Replace your graphical menu with a text one
>Having a menu with text on it instead of image enables engine to translate it in case it isn't in English (like what Google Translate is doing). Also, for those who are visually impaired, Search Engines can read the menu for their better experience.

2. Add two instances of your keywords in your homepage, or whichever page you’re working on.
>Avoid repetitive keywords this 2013, coz you may just be found by Search Engines to be dumping too much keywords on your page, thus a change to be penalized. Just work on having a keyword that will best describe your page, and that you know have the highest probability to have your page found.

3. Get more incoming links.
>Never better. You need to build your links, because you will have better authority in Search Engine's perspective by having STRONG links.

4. Submit more articles to directories.
>Submit on Authority Directories. And make sure your content is unique, helpful, and informative. Make sure that your content is what your user will have the highest possibility of being read, liked, and shared.

5. Make sure everything has an alt or title attribute.
>Again, helpful for all users; both the visually impaired or those aren't.

6. - Find ways for users to comment on your content.
>Know that by having comments, this will label your content to be interesting. And also, it can open door for a better niche community.

7. - Learning CSS can have an influence on your rankings.
>Have clean code, and avoid those which will cause your site to be penalized by all search engines.

8. - Content placement.
>I suppose this is connected with the seventh... :D

All in all, to please search engines, learn to please your users. :)

Bestseoservice
07-23-2014, 04:57 AM
Good Information But Look a Big Article , Peoples are Not spent more time this kind of article .So Post like Short and Sweet ,

bangaloreseoguru
10-20-2014, 04:09 AM
excellent post ...

bangaloreseoguru
10-20-2014, 04:10 AM
it is nice an article.... and sweet too

Rajeev Sharma
07-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Some people say that directories are dead in search engine optimization, but i found some preference to directories in seo from this discussion..

Nexevo Technologi
10-07-2015, 02:31 AM
I agree that your points and i have a following these steps...its the best for me..

Nexevo Technologi
11-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the valuable information...Its the biggest message for me....

VilasGala
02-26-2016, 05:18 AM
Make a link on high PR sites get a ranked your sites

medishanaik
08-03-2016, 12:09 AM
Thanks for great tips on SEO

damponting44
11-16-2016, 04:46 AM
Five Ways to Improve your Site’s Ranking (SEO) -

1. Publish Relevant Content
2. Update Your Content Regularly
3. Metadata
4. Have a link-worthy site
5. Use alt tags.

samant
01-27-2017, 03:30 AM
Write high quality content

jackar56
01-27-2017, 07:27 AM
SEO on page and off page both are best techniques for better ranking, you should be use better on page seo for better ranking.

hariandro001
02-27-2017, 10:56 PM
I suggest you forum posting in best forum sites like websitepublisher and warrior forum and i found a new forum with instant approval and instant signature ..In that you can post more number of posts at a time .. No way to get banned .. try this Seo gain forum (http://seogain.forumotion.com)

shakthipriya
03-08-2017, 12:22 AM
Use Keywords.
Use Trends.
Add yourself to Google.
Target niche keywords with low competition.

hariandro
03-16-2017, 02:37 AM
Seo tips
• Improve user-experience
• Ensures readers coming from search engine spend a lot of time on your site. If they hit back button quickly, chances are your serp would drop quickly too.
• If you are writing long content, use bucket brigade copywriting technique to ensure users stays on your page.
• Use Benefit driven sub-heading to make your content more appealing

tyagi
03-21-2017, 12:10 AM
*All pages must conform to w3c standards.
*Keywords density is never abusive.
*Always include:robots.txt,sitemap.xml,and urllist.txt.
*Keywords are prominent in the title , metatags and headings.
*ALT tags and title tags are not forgotten.
*Nomenclature is fundamental to being indexed.

Hope this Help~!

Sgraphinfotech
03-21-2017, 02:27 AM
Top 10 On page and offices steps,

1. Research the Business related keywords
2. Create the Quality and informative content
3. Create the Meta Tags for every pages
4. Do Internal Linking for your website
5. Optimize Robots and Sitemap
6. Share informative article
7. Do guest blogging
8. You Social media post
9. Forum Posting
10. Directory Submission

johnsimth
04-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Nice article you have post here Chris. Great tips for beginners.

AnjanaSharma
06-08-2017, 06:38 AM
• Improve user-experience
• Ensures readers coming from search engine spend a lot of time on your site. If they hit back button quickly, chances are your serp would drop quickly too.
• If you are writing long content, use bucket brigade copywriting technique to ensure users stays on your page.
• Use Benefit driven sub-heading to make your content more appealing

Abhi71
06-18-2017, 09:35 PM
Keyword Research is Important
Proper Title for Blog Posts
Description Plays an Important Role
Content-Length and Quality Both Matters
Internal Linking
Build Backlinks By Commenting, Guest Posting Etc
Get More Social Shares to Improve Keywords Ranking
Start Focusing on Long-Tail Keywords

osforum4
07-05-2017, 02:59 AM
Step to Step SEO plan to get top RANKING and Excellent TRAFFIC:-

Step - 1: Website Analysis, Keyword Research & Competitors Analysis

Step - 2: Technical Analysis

Step – 3: On-Page Optimization

Step – 4: Link Building (Off Page SEO)

Step - 5: Social Media Optimization

Step – 6: Reporting and management

neelseowork
07-19-2017, 10:14 PM

post is very informative. Many thanks :) !

Andaman
09-11-2017, 04:02 AM
Follow these suggestions, and watch your website rise the ranks to the top of search-engine results.

1. Publish Relevant Content
2. Update Your Content Regularly
3. Metadata
4. Have a link-worthy site
5. Use alt tags

mammaaskitchen
09-12-2017, 03:36 AM
For better Search Engine Follow:
1. Find and Use the Right Images
2. Use Keywords in the Image Filename
3. Optimize Your Image’s ‘Alt’ text
4. Use Captions Correctly
5. Use the Right Image File Type
6. Reduce the Image’s File Size
7. Resize Your Image
8. Create Image Sitemaps

velsonsocial
11-28-2017, 12:45 AM
thank you for ur good complement

neelseowork
12-04-2017, 10:11 PM
DMOZ - seems like no one updates this thing anymore?

Yahoo - how do you submit an article? I have one in there but I did not submit it to them.

ZEAL - is gone isn't it?

Agreed with you.
dmoz is no longer available.

Indraja
05-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Content is the king, believe in it and supply genuine content.

Add your website to Google analytics and webmaster tools.

Get some quality back links related to your niche.

Put regular hardwork and never lose hopes with sincere efforts.

akashsharma1
07-31-2018, 12:30 AM
Start doing onpage and offpage activities for your website. Both are the most important factor for getting ranking in Search engine.

johnmart
11-27-2018, 06:14 AM
If you want to improve keywords ranking on Google and another search engine, need to follows mostly Google Webmaster guidelines to work on any website. The keyword is an important part of any website to rank and Schroll on SERP. Here we have to mention some important points that help to improve ranking as-
- Update about latest SEO Trends
- Make Website Mobile Friendly
- Proper Analysis of Competitors
- Perfect On-Page Optimise
- Build Links With High Quality
- Connect on Social Media
- Include Blog on Website
- Used LSI Keyword with interlinking
- Make website on EMD basis
- Nail your headlines and subheads
- Share on Social Media daily basis
- Perfect According to Panda and Penguin Updates

whizadvert
05-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Thanks for such article. Most of the things are New For Me

efusionworld
05-15-2019, 01:36 AM
Five Ways to Improve your Site's Ranking:

1. Publish Relevant Content. Quality content is the number one driver of your search engine rankings and there is no substitute for great content. ...
2. Update Your Content Regularly. You've probably noticed that we feel pretty strongly about content. ...
3. Metadata. ...
4. Have a link-worthy site. ...
5. Use alt tags.

davidweb09
06-22-2019, 01:11 PM
White Hat SEO techniques can hep to achieve higher search engine position.

williamhills
07-18-2019, 05:44 AM
Thanks for Sharing us,

GeraldLang
12-04-2019, 06:10 AM
Here are the strategies to better Search Engine Ranking as follows:-
Content Authority
Keyword Usage
Keyword Research
Relevant Content
Number of Backlinks
Anchor Text Optimization