PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Mall Sites

Blue Cat Buxton
05-21-2004, 05:35 AM
Simple question - Do these mall/portal sites work?

I mean the type of sites that are mostly affiliate links under lots of different sections.

I tend to stumble upon them if searching for obscure items and presumably that is how they make money - enough people do odd searches and gets to their site and then clicks a link.

They dont seem to offer a lot of additional value though (no content etc) and I dont see any/many links in peoples sigs - so is it worth setting them up or is the market just too saturated with them.

Kyle
05-21-2004, 07:04 AM
It depends on what you're referring to. It sounds like you're referring to the more spammy mall/portal sites that may break Google's rules in their optimization techniques. Spammy portal sites do work, but they're not very popular amongst the webmaster community. If I had one, I wouldnt want to advertise it in my signature.

Also, it's important to define your goals before classifying whether they work or not. It is also important to consider how confident you are with your blackhat optimization techniques, and where you're getting your pagerank.

Athorn4941
05-21-2004, 01:09 PM
You usually should break them down into catagories and then incorporate into a site sort of like what is under icebane's sig.

Blue Cat Buxton
05-24-2004, 02:24 AM
I hadnt though of them as using suspect SEO tricks but I suppose some of them (a lot of them?) must.

Icebanes sites are certainly nicer than the ones I was thinking of.

where you're getting your pagerank I think I need to control a bit more before I embark on a site like this.

Thanks