PDA

View Full Version : Database, HUH!?

dev|norm
05-17-2004, 11:54 AM
Ok, I am totally green regarding DB's. I have used Access years ago, but would like to have a greater knowledge of DB's before jumping into MS Sql, or MySql.. for web apps. What is a good project to undergo to work with DB's? A good way to learn interaction, before jumping headfirst into PHP/ASP/CF..

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Chris
05-17-2004, 12:43 PM
I think jumping in head first is the right thing to do. Access isn't really the best tool to learn on since it isn't a database server like the other programs. If you made some queries with access and then looked at the raw SQL for those queries that might help you.

nohaber
05-17-2004, 01:00 PM
dev|norm,
what is your end-purpose of learning mysql and php? For most web related tasks you don't need too much of a knowlegde. Most sites need simple things such as "Contact Us" script. The tough ones like a discussion forum are already taken care of.

If you take one of the open-source discussion forums and study its code, you'll practically learn 99% of it.

webcs
06-21-2004, 10:30 AM
What I do whenever I jump into a new language is get a small open source program that using that language then go through it and disect it and think line by line how it works. As far as MySQL goes make sure to have a server or host with myphpadmin, you'll be happier and it will help you leanring curve.