PDA

View Full Version : What would you like in a newsletter?

Chris
04-27-2003, 02:26 PM
I plan on adding a newsletter to this site but am unsure what to call it and what to offer in it.

So, what would you like to see in a newsletter?

Mike
05-03-2003, 11:50 AM
Probably new articles, hot forum posts (ie, ones you think are of interest and have a large number of replies, or ones that have a long interesting post), maybe something that like tells users of a certain visitors sucess after reading your articles.

Just my thoughts.

snaip
05-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Hi,

A newsletter sounds a really good idea, as far as it doesn't look like the other thousands of newsletters around with tons of advertisement and format that constantly change weekly!

You can include these sections:

- an introduction blurb (new events on the site, personal experience, and small comments on the latest web industry news)

- new articles that have been added to the site

- latest forum posts as Mike pointed out

- some short news snippets (you might link it to the web industry news forum section)

- short tip

I guess that will do!

beley
05-03-2003, 10:36 PM
I get so many newsletters... some I wonder why I signed up for them at all. I like a GOOD article (at least one) in a newsletter. And not that much advertising... just enough to make ends meet if you have to do it.

Maybe a download of the month (or week)... and it would be a good chance for you to say a few words... like a note from the editor or something.

Mike
05-20-2003, 01:59 PM
What did you decide on this Chris?

Chris
05-20-2003, 02:23 PM
I haven't decided yet.

johnn
06-03-2003, 12:44 PM
What is the main theme of the newsletter? Is it SEO and Web Marketing?

If it's SEO I probably name it 'biz owner's SEO/Web Marketing Companion', or put the word 'Trade' in there - trade this and trade that seems important :D - SEO Trade Newsletter.

incka
08-23-2003, 05:35 AM
I think there should be a helpful script in every newsletter as well... Like a ad rotator and a cookie planter, etc.

Matt
08-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Also, you could have maybe two newsletters. One would deal with SEO/Promotion and have articles and tips about that, and the other would be a development type newsletter. Or else just start out with a newsletter and grow as needed.

Getting people to submit tips or helpful scripts would also save you time and give you good content.

I really like the trafficology newsletter--it has many great ideas that you won't find in many places. Some unique tips and ideas like that would be great (except they would cover more than just that subject.) You can see what I mean in their sample newsletter (http://www.trafficology.com/sample.txt)

Matt

Kings
08-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Well, I mostly agree with the above, but I also think you should add some personal 'column' or foreword with your personal comments. :)

Chris
08-24-2003, 05:23 PM
Trafficology I thought was good for a couple months... then it got real stale. Wayne Yeager (the owner) IMO simply had a great idea and cashed in on it quickly.

johnn
08-25-2003, 01:33 AM
I had bad experience with the Yeager guy about paid newsletter...

Best.Flash
10-26-2003, 01:14 PM
Keep it personal.

I enjoy reading about the author and other members musings, success stories and tips and tricks relating to their site(s).

Kyle
10-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Google news!

KeithMcL
10-27-2003, 09:05 AM
My newsletter has a similar topic to these forums. I only launched it last month. It includes the following sections:

Introduction
Latest Network News
Featured Article
Script Review
Software Review
Hot Community Discussions
Industry News

Percept
10-29-2003, 04:46 PM
I would certainly like to know when new articles get published.
On the other side, a newsletter would really help me remember to visit WSP cause I visit a lot of websites on a day and I tend to forget those that do not "refresh" my attention once and a while.

Cloughie
10-30-2003, 02:42 AM
I agree..

If you are updating monthly, a newsletter makiing me aware of the updates would be much appreciated it :)

chromate
10-30-2003, 04:37 AM
Quite simply, news. Such as any changes the search engines have made over the last month etc