PDA

View Full Version : pool.com grabbed nbc.net

Kyle
04-26-2004, 01:54 PM
Pool.com grabbed nbc.net today. I'm in on the private auction. Should be pretty exciting to see how high bids go...

incka
04-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Are you bidding?

Kyle
04-26-2004, 02:05 PM
If I do it would be for fun. I'm sure it'll exceed $4,000 which is out of my range right now. I'm not positive, but I'll bet NBC is trademarked.

If you can somehow keep the domain and not have the NBC company sue you over it, you could probably make good money by redirecting type-ins to advertisers bidding on "news" keywords.

incka
04-26-2004, 11:26 PM
How does Pool.com work? Just like godaddy's backorder thing?

Kyle
04-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Anyone can backorder a domain. You don't pay anything unless pool.com gets it.

So.... lets say website.com is dropping on Friday. If only 1 person backorders it, then they get it for $60. If 2 or more people backorder it, an auction begins that lasts ~3 days. Highest bidder gets it, but no one else can take part in this private auction except those who backordered it.

incka
04-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Does pool.com always beat godaddy's backorder?

Kyle
04-27-2004, 12:31 PM
No, but pool.com usually wins. Out of all the public domain grabbers, I believe pool.com is the best right now. They destroy snapnames as far as I've seen. In the past month I had 10 domains backordered on snapnames that also were on pool.com. Pool got all but 2.

But, you should always target from all the locations you can find. Godaddy, enom, pool, snapnames, namewinner... Everywhere. Even DropWizard.com.

incka
04-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Right. I'll get worldwar1.com tracked... The guy who owned it died so his friends are looking after it. I'm hoping they forget to reregister.

Kyle
04-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Ironic... i once had worldwar.net. But it was a while ago and I wasn't paying attention to domain value as much as I do now. I let it drop :(. Then again, I let a lot of good stuff drop over the years :(. My head wasn't on straight for a while...

worldwar.net
saddamhussein.net
warcraft3.net
i'll stop there too depressing.

incka
04-27-2004, 12:46 PM
LOL...

Even more ironic, I own:

world-war-1.net
world-war-2.net
gulf-war.net

I don't own any warcraft type domain though...

gmac17
05-01-2004, 07:34 PM
i'll stop there too depressing.

Tell me about it.

I'll never forget the day in 1996 when i was talking with a friend about how all the good names are probably taken (but not bothering to check) . Fast forward 2 years to when I start buying up names....imagine what I could have had....