PDA

View Full Version : Help, I'm building my first Amazon AWS site!

snowman
04-20-2004, 08:50 AM
Hi,

First post.......

I am trying to put together Amazon AWS shop using Dan article on this site, but I am having a few problems and I hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction.....

Now I have to admit I am a beginner at this, but I have successfully built one store using Amazon's AWS ( www.gamblingbookshop.net ). However, this parses the response to my XML request using XSLT, and is very basic.

So now I'm aiming a bit higher..............

I have downloaded the four files in Dans article, saved them as text files in Notebook, uploded them to my hosting co and given them .php extensions. I have also downloaded Cash Lite

Problem 1) When I type into my browser "www.mydomain.com/browse.php" it says it cant find Cache Lite , so what does this mean exactly:-

(From Dans article)
save the Cache Lite files to a directory above your web root (?????) and create a separate directory where the actual cached files will be stored.

Problem 2) There must be some hidden/ not mentioned files that I need to create. I know that there is a stylesheet. But what about the index.html file - there has to be one. How does that index file become populated with products from Amazon?

Some advice on these two problems would be very helpful.

Thanks

Ray

GCT13
04-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi snowman, I'll try to help you out.

Originally posted by snowman
I have downloaded the four files in Dans article, saved them as text files in Notebook, uploded them to my hosting co and given them .php extensions. I have also downloaded Cash LiteThere are two paths you need to update in your functions file for the Cache Lite to work. Did you make those changes?

But what about the index.html file - there has to be one. How does that index file become populated with products from Amazon?That's not covered in the tutorial, but if you want products on your index page, simply populate the code from the "browse" page.

Hope that helps,

Dan

incka
04-20-2004, 11:07 AM
I recommend JPCache, it's so much easier when using MarkB's tutorial...

snowman
04-20-2004, 11:56 AM
Ok, thanks Dan and and incka.

So

1) a basic site would consist of:-

a) index.html, in my own design,
b) browse.php, product.php, search.php and aws-functions.php

and

c) a seperate stylesheet.css file

....does that sound right????

2) If I can get Dans files working then I can start customising them - is that true? Are they fully functioning apart from the cache stuff, and developers code and key? Presumably, I can just replace the browse nodes with appropriate nodes for my chosen products......and my affilliate code and dev key?

3) I need a cache programme. There are a few choices. Which is easiest for a beginner, that will work with AWS and where do the cache files go - do I just set up a folder called cache and use the path to the folder???

Thanks for your help.

Ray

MarkB
04-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Which you can find at http://www.markbridgeman.com/articles/jpcache-howto-tutorial.html :p

For the index page, you could just have a redirect to your main Amazon page (which is what I used before going back to CGI for experimentation).

GCT13
04-20-2004, 12:14 PM
1) a basic site would consist of:-
a) index.html, in my own design,
b) browse.php, product.php, search.php and aws-functions.php
and
c) a seperate stylesheet.css file
....does that sound right????Well... the index page would be index.php if you wanted to showcase some AWS "featured products", but yeah those are the basical files you'd need for your AWS site.

2) If I can get Dans files working then I can start customising them - is that true?It is indeed true.

Presumably, I can just replace the browse nodes with appropriate nodes for my chosen products......and my affilliate code and dev key?Absolutely.

3) I need a cache programme. There are a few choices.My tutorial is designed for Cache Lite... I'd recommend you try to get that working, because if you use another caching package you'd have to make some edits at least to the functions file... and I don't know if you're confortable enough with PHP as yet. jpcache is definately a nice caching package and easy to implement, but like I said I suspect you'd be better off working with Cache Lite for now.

...and where do the cache files go - do I just set up a folder called cache and use the path to the folder???Yes that's basically it. Okay I'll ask again, did you set the proper file paths in your functions file? There are two paths you need to edit.

snowman
04-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks Dan

did you set the proper file paths in your functions file? There are two paths you need to edit.

No this is a new area for me. I will try it now.

GCT13
04-20-2004, 12:32 PM
No this is a new area for me. I will try it now. The two paths should looks something like "/home/snowman/cacheLite/". Here's a hint, when you get an error, it should display a path in the error message, and thru that path you should be able to re-trace via your site's file directory the correct path. Hope that made sense :) Good luck.

incka
04-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Get some SE friendly URLs going.

There easy to do, just a few lines of php & .htaccess

thebillionaire
04-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi,

First post.......

I am trying to put together Amazon AWS shop using Dan article on this site,
(From Dans article)

Ray

Whats dans article? Whats the link?

GCT13
04-20-2004, 01:06 PM
In my signature.

snowman
04-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks Dan,

I think its working now

I downloaded the Cache Lite zipped file as stated in the article opened it and uploaded the php file called lite.php to folder I created called "cache".

So the path is "cache/lite.php".

Does that sound right?

GCT13
04-20-2004, 01:29 PM
I downloaded the Cache Lite zipped file as stated in the article opened it and uploaded the php file called lite.php to folder I created called "cache".
So the path is "cache/lite.php".
Does that sound right? Sounds 'bout right. Did you upload all the Cache Lite files? There's more than just lite.php. Did you create a /cache/ directory (where the actual cache files will reside), set that path in the functions file, and chmod that directory to 777?

snowman
04-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Oh, I thought it sounded too easy......

Right, last question -

I have now uploaded all .php files from Cache lite to a folder on my directory called cache.

I have set the file path in functions.php to "cache/lite.php"

But

Did you create a /cache/ directory (where the actual cache files will reside), set that path in the functions file, and chmod that directory to 777?

Not done - whats the easiest way of doing this???

One last thing. Is the cache vital at this stage of development - Is there a problem if just I build/ test the site without the cache working and sorted out the cache later?

thanks again

Ray

rwhiteIMD
03-17-2005, 02:38 PM
i've followed the tutorial steps however i get this error message

Fatal error: Failed opening required '/multimedia.xxww.com/web/rw/cache/lite.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /home/httpd/html/multimedia/web/rw/store/aws-functions.php on line 74

could anyone tell me what i am doing wrong
Thanks
rw

jck2ho
04-06-2005, 02:45 AM
I am building my first amazon site too!
http://www.sukii.com

hope I can earn a few bucks everyday...

Blue Cat Buxton
04-06-2005, 05:14 AM
i've followed the tutorial steps however i get this error message

Fatal error: Failed opening required '/multimedia.xxww.com/web/rw/cache/lite.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /home/httpd/html/multimedia/web/rw/store/aws-functions.php on line 74

could anyone tell me what i am doing wrong
Thanks
rw

Wow, old thread.

Looks like your path to cache lite is not correct.

try changing the include path to :

/home/httpd/html/multimedia/web/rw/cache/lite.php

MarkB
04-06-2005, 06:43 AM
Are you replying to the right thread?:)

Blue Cat Buxton
04-06-2005, 07:05 AM
Yup, see post no. 15 on the previous page.

(You had me worried though, that I was loosing it (more so than usual) ;)

Tech Evangelist
04-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Mark

Nice job with the JPCache tutorial.

Craig

MarkB
04-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks Craig. How did you find it? (I don't even link to it anymore - lol)