PDA

View Full Version : Virus' and SPAM

ozgression
04-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Anyone else have the problem of seeing viruses and SPAM being sent out from your website's email accounts?

I just checked one of my website's WEBMAIL accounts and found that I had received almost 2000 emails in the last 6 or so months. Unknown to me, since the emails were sent to and from an email address which is generated when you create a cpanel account.

Anyway, the emails were a mixture of SPAM & viruses (no surprise their), BUT what worries me the most is that there also appears to be spam/viruses SENT FROM that particular email address. I have "Mail Delivery Failure" messages, messages from sever admins telling me a trojan has used the email address to send SPAM/VIRUS and even emails from people who stupidly opened an attatched file I supposedly sent them (well the trojan did).

My questions are:

1) Has anyone else experienced this problem?
2) Was the problem a server security error or was it something to do with my actually computer that caused this (My computer did have a trojan on it a while ago but its all clear now)?
3) How to fix/stop any further problems like this.
4) I am on a reseller plan and experienced massive downtime (about a month ago). Could this virus/spam thing be the cause of that?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify this for me...

Cheers.
________
Sichuan FAW Motor (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Sichuan_FAW_Toyota_Motor)

chromate
04-19-2004, 03:42 AM
I've been experiencing this over the last couple of months. It's not so active now, but at one point a month back, I was getting about 5 emails a day with viruses attached. Obviously I haven't opened any of them and scan regularly.

They also spoof your domain name when sending out emails. There's nothing you can do about it. I've removed a lot of the email addresses on my sites because of this problem.

nohaber
04-19-2004, 06:29 AM
There's a virus attack going on at the moment. I am receiving about 2-3 viruses every 5 minutes on my yahoo account.

No one can do anything about these things. Anyone or any program can send an email with an arbitrary sender (we used to do this back at the dawn of the web to scare our innocent university girls).:p

btw. I used to have a phpbb forum on my site, and a virus got installed on my main page using some security flaw on the forum(might be a virus or a person, dunno). It produced a very interesting weblog. It was an inserted iframe with the virus. At that time google crawled my site and I was out of all SERPs for some time:( Probably about 10 people got infected from viewing my main page. :mad:

Anyway, now I HATE phpBB. They S**K.

incka
04-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Yes, staff@incka.com & support@incka.com keep pretending to be me and sending me email...

I posted in general chat about it ages ago...

ozgression
04-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Nice to know I am not the only one experiencing these issues.

The main thing I was worried about is that someone may have accessed my cpanel to send them, but if that's not the case, then I guess this not such a big issue (as I can't control it).

Cheers...
________
medical cannabis seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)