PDA

View Full Version : Banner at the Top. Without Frames style.

LMolineux
04-14-2004, 07:19 AM
Geeze do i hate frames they annoy me. They load and arent search engine friendly. As i have heard but dont see why. Although i am trying to learn i am not going to spend money for something i will continue to learn and do myself with some help. I have improved majorly on Front Web Design. As ya'll can see. From here The Head Nut my first Design. Not to professional but not bad for first design. (http://web.archive.org/web/20020923162125/http://theheadnut.com/)

Yes i know it does sound like a BS line for first time ever designing a website. But ya got to please understand some things are bass ackwords to me in a sense as i am dyslexic. Sorry if ya'll found my wording context bad with what words i chose. I am also now in the process of redoing the backend of the site. Like all the Linkable pages. I know i have taken a long time but i am getting there.

Here is the current Look.
The Head Nut Current (http://www.theheadnut.com)

Personally i like how i have improved.

But now i am trying to listen and do some of the peoples ideas for me from here like getting it to look more flairish. More style. Now i want to make some banners for the top of each page of what its about.

chromate
04-14-2004, 09:09 AM
You have improved it. But it has some way to go.

Have you looked at those other sites Incka posted? Find stuff that you like about those sites and try to emulate it.

- Try using a different font (arial, verdana, georgia)
- change the link color from that default blue to a more "nutty color"
- Get rid of all those standard horizontal lines ( the <hr> tags ) They look very amateurish
- The image in the middle is just a scanned in picture right? It shows. You need a better quality image. Draw it on the computer (well!) or get someone to do it for you. It's the first thing that will be noticed by a user when they visit your site. It HAS to be good or else you've fallen at the first hurdle.
- I would suggest reducing the width of your page. You don't have enough information to fill the page well right now.
- The point above will also mean that you'll probably want to reduce your font size a bit. This will be a good thing, as massive font sizes can also look amateurish.

Some points to be going on with.

incka
04-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Change the background color.

michael_gersitz
04-14-2004, 09:32 AM
use Verdana as your font...

<font face=verdana size=2>

chromate
04-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Personally, I think georgia could work really well with a coffee site. It's quite elaborate and sophisticated. Verdana could be too techy and plain.

incka
04-14-2004, 11:22 AM
I really wish I could remember what fonts look like, but it seems to be impossible for me...

incka
04-14-2004, 11:26 AM
I could see Century Gothic working when I look at common fonts in word pad...

Also I notice the only difference between Tahoma & Verdana seems to be spacing and a slight difference in size.

LMolineux
04-14-2004, 11:36 AM
I am taking some of your ideas and trying to adapt it into the design plus i know its like scrolling on and on for certain things i am going to sort them by catagory and make them into a table form but hide the table itself. make a much nicer background for it also. These are some ideas i am taking from you'r ideas your helping me out with. Thank you.

incka
04-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I was watching who wants to be a millionaire on your webcam...

LMolineux
04-14-2004, 02:12 PM
You like the Webcam idea?