PDA

View Full Version : You can now use Trademarks in Adword Campaigns...!

michael_gersitz
04-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Yes! It is true!

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3339581

mobilebadboy
04-13-2004, 11:23 AM
the company will still block the use of trademarked terms in ad text when trademarks owners complain. I hope those mail servers are warmed up.

michael_gersitz
04-13-2004, 11:28 AM
I don't know why you would not want your name in Ads, free promotion for you...., right?

mobilebadboy
04-13-2004, 11:34 AM
Well yes and no. You're name is getting out there, but it does you no good. Say if Reebok decided to use 'Nike' in their ads, someone searches for Nike, ends up at Reebok's site and buy's a pair of Reebok's instead, that doesn't do Nike much good does it? :)

michael_gersitz
04-13-2004, 11:55 AM
It can go both ways.

I think google made the right decision. This way, people can send them a message telling them they don't want there name in Ads, and then Google can make up a list. It was proboally to hard for them to enforce all of the trademarks..

Mike
04-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Good decision really. Say if you were selling trainers, you could say how you offer trainers made by Nike, Reebok etc.

chromate
04-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Damn! I got excited when I started reading this post. I've been trying to do some advertising recently that involves a trademarked term and my ads kept getting rejected. I couldn't even use the term as the keywords which makes things hard if you're trying to advertise that product.

Now I find that they're allowing it, but only for US / Canadian advertisers?! Annoying! :(

It's also annoying that UK advertisers have to pay in GBP and not USD. That might sound funny, but it means that minimum bid for UK is effectively $0.09 whilst for the US it's $0.05 etc etc. It costs more. I think google should make it equal based on the exchange rate and the actual value of the £ instead of devaluing it as a way for them to make more money.

For example, the UK minimum bid should be £0.02 whilst in the US it should be an equvilant $0.04. Not, in US $0.04 and in UK £0.04

If you follow :)

pas
04-13-2004, 02:49 PM
You can now use Trademarks in Adword Campaigns

Good.

ozgression
04-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by chromate
Damn! I got excited when I started reading this post. I've been trying to do some advertising recently that involves a trademarked term and my ads kept getting rejected. I couldn't even use the term as the keywords which makes things hard if you're trying to advertise that product.

Now I find that they're allowing it, but only for US / Canadian advertisers?! Annoying! :(

It's also annoying that UK advertisers have to pay in GBP and not USD. That might sound funny, but it means that minimum bid for UK is effectively $0.09 whilst for the US it's $0.05 etc etc. It costs more. I think google should make it equal based on the exchange rate and the actual value of the ? instead of devaluing it as a way for them to make more money.

For example, the UK minimum bid should be ?0.02 whilst in the US it should be an equvilant $0.04. Not, in US $0.04 and in UK ?0.04

If you follow :)

Aussie's have the same problem. Especially since the USD went south mid-last year.
________
penny stocks to buy (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

incka
04-14-2004, 03:12 AM
I thought you could bid in USD. When I looked you seemed to be able to...

pas
04-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Not quite yet:

Hello,

Thank you for your email. I understand that your keyword was recently
disapproved for using a trademarked term.

As of the 8th of April, we stopped processing new trademark complaints
involving keywords in campaigns targeting the U.S. or Canada. We are
currently transitioning to this new policy and until we complete the
policy transition, we'll continue to monitor keywords for trademark
complaints currently on file with us. As such, your ads may not be able
to run on certain trademarked terms for the next several weeks.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter. I apologize
for any confusion as a result of our changing trademark policy.

Please feel free to email us at adwords-support@google.com if you have
additional questions or concerns.

We look forward to providing you with the most effective advertising
available.

Sincerely,

Andrea
The Google AdWords Team