PDA

View Full Version : Adwords - Defining affiliate status

mobilebadboy
04-08-2004, 06:21 AM
I know Adwords require you to announce yourself as an affiliate, but what is the specification exactly? I mean I know if your AW links directly through an affiliate link to your affiliate, that's a given that you include that in your ad, but what if you have a separate site that's built around an affiliate? Is it still then required to include "aff" or "affiliate" in your ad?

Let's say 4fineart.net for example. It's got it's own site, but does eventually link to an affiliate. Would this site need to be defined with an affiliate status in Adwords?

Chris
04-08-2004, 06:50 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't think so.

mobilebadboy
04-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Hmm, I guess I'll need to email them. I'm close to opening a couple of new sites, but the entire sites are built solely around afilliates, one being very similiar to 4fineart, just on a more broad approach. Just trying to stay within the rules since Adwords has heped me out so far.

chromate
04-08-2004, 08:17 AM
I only think you need the (aff) if you're directly linking to your affiliate in the ad itself.

Let us know the result though, because I would be interested in what they say.

mobilebadboy
04-08-2004, 10:13 AM
I've emailed them. If they reply I'll post it here. Adwords support is truly beyond subpar, as opposed to Adsense support which is top-notch. It's amazing how 2 different support groups for the same company can differ so greatly.

mobilebadboy
04-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Wow, for once I got a fairly prompt reply. I wish they had answered my exact questions but considering my past experience with Adwords support, I didn't even expect this much of a reply.

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for your email. I understand that you would like clarification
on affiliate status. We require that advertisers whose main purpose is to
direct traffic to an affiliate website to make a purchase specify that
they are an affiliate in their ad text. You can do this by adding the term
'affilite' or 'aff' to your ad.

<snip> removed irrelevant "form mail" ramblings </snip>

chromate
04-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Sounds to me like they're quite lenient. They can always reject your ad anyway. You are a paying customer after all :)

Mike
04-09-2004, 12:01 AM
Yeh, most people won't even know what aff means, so I think they're being quite fair.