PDA

View Full Version : Total NOOOB need a patient mentor LOL

Bulldog PCs
07-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Hey all I was searching for articles and info on writing my own website and I found this place. I am a member of a few other forums and I understand how they work for the most part or should i say most cases the "experts" in whatever field you are discussing will offer direction where to find your answers but, for some reason never actually give the answer. LOL I am no stranger to hard work and I have a fair ammount of hardware knowledge it's the software and code bit I am clueless with. So I have come here in hopes of designing my companies website with absolutely no coding knowledge at all. Sounds like a fun project for 1 of you guys who do this stuff in your sleep? Well then i'm your guy LOL. I guess from what I have found a good place to start is a good html editor. So I'll be browsing the forums in hopes of finding the means in which to design and write an ecommerce website that doesn't look like a noob did it. I knjow it's a challenge but, I am here to try. Thanks for letting me join and I'll be here for a bit. :)

HTMLBasicTutor
07-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi there!

I would recommend you working your way through the w3schools HTML lessons (http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp) using Notepad (comes with Windows). Why? Because most WYSWYG editors do something wrong as far as creating code. Either out dated or bloated coding. If you learn how to code by hand first then later you can switch to a WYSWYG editor if you want (and can afford to).

Learning to code HTML by hand first also helps you to be able to troubleshoot display problems. If you just push buttons in an WYSWYG editor you won't understand how the coding works nor how to fix it.

Once you have a handle on HTML, learn to code CSS by hand also. w3schools has CSS lessons (http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp) also.

FYI: HTML 5 and CSS3 are not official standards yet as of this writing. They are a ways away from becoming official standards. There are browser issues still at the moment which will cause you to use hacks for those browsers that don't suppor these yet. Hacks are workarounds to make something work. They add extra coding to your site which later can be a problem (beyond a maintenance issue). e.g. people used hacks when IE6 was around. When IE7 came out a ton of sites were broken (including VIP sites).

Keep things simple at first. Once you have completed a site or two you can tackle going back and adding some more advanced features later.

Bulldog PCs
07-11-2011, 04:58 PM
Thank you just to add to my thread I really only need to do 1 site but I believe it is complicated I need a bunch of drop down boxes that update a price . I probably couldn't do it in a economically speedy manner. Currently my domain says parked so first thing I need to learn is how to just get a home page up with my logo and under construction instead of parked by active domain. I will take your advice because you deffinitely seem to know. I was asking about a program/editor thinking it would alleviate me from all th <p1 ...> <h1 ... h> stuff that I have no clue about I was kinda hoping there was a program that you could actually click header and it would do the < stuff for me LOL I guess wishful thinking.

HTMLBasicTutor
07-11-2011, 08:35 PM
WYSWYG (What You See What You Get) will do that for you sorta but as explained earlier you don't learn anything nor do you learn how to fix things when they go wrong.