PDA

View Full Version : AdSense Changes

flyingpylon
04-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Just got an e-mail from Google about some changes to AdSense.

They say they'll have better ad relevance, which will be interesting.

But then they also say they'll have "smarter pricing" where they'll determine what a click is worth to an advertiser based on the content of the page. Hmmm... not sure how that will work out.

They say "A few publishers will see a decline in revenues".

Chris
04-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Could be a bad thing. "A Few Publishers" generally means most in my book.

incka
04-01-2004, 02:24 PM
That's bad in some cases, good in others. I see my debt site getting higher CPCs and my other sites getting lower ones.

pas
04-01-2004, 02:58 PM
They already analyzed a page's content to determine what ads to show. Guess if "local rank" is true, maybe that's being applied to gauge the quality of visitors. Seems only fair Google should pass the reduced click price on to advertisers (and not pocket the difference, if they are planning to do that).

flyingpylon
04-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Here's the example they gave:

For example, a click on an ad for digital cameras on a web page about photography tips may be worth less than a click on the same ad appearing next to a review of digital cameras.

So now in addition to SEO for our sites we can worry about GAO or GASO (Google AdSense Optimization).

chromate
04-01-2004, 03:19 PM
I think they'll base the price on how well an ad is a match for a page. I would imagine they have some sort of scoring system to match how relevant an ad is to a page, the ads with the highest scores get displayed. Say for example a page is about "low carb foods" and the AdWords client has chosen "low carb foods" as his or her keywords for their ad, then this would be a 100% match and so the click amount would be 100% of that stated. Now say for example that the "low carb foods" ad appears on a page about "low carb diets", then there may only be a 90% match and so the click amount will be slightly less.

Just an idea of how it may work. Could be completely wrong though :)

Chris
04-01-2004, 03:37 PM
But what is the baseline?

If you need to perfectly match your keywords to earn what you do now then most people will end up losing. If you only need to be a 50% match to earn what you do now then Google will need to charge advertisers more (unlikely).

ozgression
04-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by flyingpylon
So now in addition to SEO for our sites we can worry about GAO or GASO (Google AdSense Optimization).

Great, another Google term to remember:rolleyes:
________
ipad guide (http://ipadguides.info)

chromate
04-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Did everyone actually get this email from Google? I didn't ever receive a copy.

incka
04-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Ask Mike if I got my copy.

Westech
04-02-2004, 12:32 PM
I got one.

Jaffro
04-02-2004, 12:48 PM
I got one.

I've been seeing improvements in adsense ad's over the past month, paying more and more revelent.

chromate
04-02-2004, 01:55 PM
I actually recieved mine about 30min after I posted. :)