PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Neighborhood - A new way to volunteer

rkrishnan2012
03-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi all,

This is my first website which I am planning on publishing and I want get some recommendations before actually telling other people about this site. Anyway, the domain is www.friendlyneighborhood.org and it is a tool which is designed for people to volunteer and get volunteers for small jobs as well as large ones.

Example:
My neighbor is very old and always needs help in shoveling the tons of snow off her driveway but it is quite hard to find people to do it these days so...she goes to friendlyneighborhood.org and registers a new job as a snow shoveler. Next, a volunteer (who eagerly needs to get his hours), goes on this site as well and sees that the old woman in his street needs some help with the snow so he registers and he applies for this job. Now, with 3-4 kids also willing to do this job, the old lady now has some choices on whom to appoint this job to (or many of them) and then once it is settled, he can volunteer and all she needs to do it rate his work from 1-10 and write any comments on how he did it. Based on this, his number of hours will get updated in his account and he also gets a recommendation from her for his volunteering hours.

What I am looking for is some tips on how to make this site better or any additional features I should add. Also, I would like to know how to get people to actually view my site (other than facebook and forums, which I will do).

-Thanks in advance

websitebabbler
03-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

This is my first website which I am planning on publishing and I want get some recommendations before actually telling other people about this site. Anyway, the domain is www.friendlyneighborhood.org and it is a tool which is designed for people to volunteer and get volunteers for small jobs as well as large ones.

Example:
My neighbor is very old and always needs help in shoveling the tons of snow off her driveway but it is quite hard to find people to do it these days so...she goes to friendlyneighborhood.org and registers a new job as a snow shoveler. Next, a volunteer (who eagerly needs to get his hours), goes on this site as well and sees that the old woman in his street needs some help with the snow so he registers and he applies for this job. Now, with 3-4 kids also willing to do this job, the old lady now has some choices on whom to appoint this job to (or many of them) and then once it is settled, he can volunteer and all she needs to do it rate his work from 1-10 and write any comments on how he did it. Based on this, his number of hours will get updated in his account and he also gets a recommendation from her for his volunteering hours.

What I am looking for is some tips on how to make this site better or any additional features I should add. Also, I would like to know how to get people to actually view my site (other than facebook and forums, which I will do).

-Thanks in advance

Have you considered twitter? There is a site that goes with twitter called local tweeps. You can try to find people in your area to follow you or to get volunteers. Just curious what the criteria is to volunteer? Do you think people should be fingerprinted? You don't want anything to happen to the older people. Just a precaution.