PDA

View Full Version : Bookmark link

sitepointRefugee
04-01-2004, 03:55 AM
I see some sites posting Bookmark link somewhere on their site. Is it useful? I'm not asking about rather intrusive pop-up asking if you want to bookmark the site, but I am asking about ... something like a link in the footer. Is it useful to some visitors?

Note: I'm thinking about making the site usable and accessible to average Joe type users rather than savvy internet users like those who come to this site.

MarkB
04-01-2004, 04:18 AM
I think it is - providing the user knows what bookmarks are :)

chromate
04-01-2004, 04:55 AM
As my carbohydrate counter site is a reference site, I thought it might be useful for users to bookmark it for easy access. So I created an "add this site to your favourites" type link. To be honest, I'm not sure it's really done much good.

Yoda
04-01-2004, 09:03 AM
I've got a shameless (but relevant) plug for one of my websites:

Add to Favorites Link Generator (http://www.scriptomizers.com/javascript/add_to_favorites)

I think it's a decent idea, sure. At the very least, it can't hurt. How useful it is will depend on the nature of the site in question. Message boards, for example, are conducive to repeat visits, and therefore probably ideal for such a link. Reference sites, however, are more often of the one-and-done visit variety, and therefore not as well-suited to such a link.