PDA

View Full Version : How do I add this to my site?

jpb1958
12-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi everyone
This is only my second post here, so I'm not too familiar with the forum yet, so if this is in the wrong place please accept my apologies.

Firstly, I have next to no knowledge of HTML, CSS etc, but I thought if I wanted to learn then the best place to go would be to the people who do!!

Anyways, I have a question to ask.

My site is gardening related and I would like to add a hardiness zone map.
Basically, the map is color coded so you can see at a glance what zone you live in, thereby, you can determine what types of plants you can/can't grow.

I know I can just add an image of the zone map to my site, but I want to be able to add a search bar so anyone can find out their hardiness zone by typing their zip code.

How would I do this?

I could post an url of a site that has what I need so you guys here can see what I am talking about, but I am reluctant to do so in case someone thinks I am spamming or promoting the site.

HTMLBasicTutor
12-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Did you try Googling search by zip code script ? Maybe you could take one of those and adapt it to what you want to do.

Chris
12-30-2010, 04:42 PM
It is very complex programming to do a zip code to map lookup like that. If you have to ask how you would do it, you probably can't do it yourself.

Most gardeners know their zone already anyways.

jpb1958
12-31-2010, 03:19 AM
Thanks for your replies.
@ HTMLBasicTutor...thanks for the heads up regarding the script.
@Chris...my site will include an option to send plants to relatives, friends etc, so having a zip code/ hardiness zone lookup, could be quite useful.

jpb1958
12-31-2010, 03:31 AM
HTML
Thanks for the heads up re google search. I have just found a script that I can put on my site for the USA. Now to find one for Europe and Australia!!