PDA

View Full Version : I've been banging my head on this one!!!

phenix
12-18-2010, 09:08 AM
I have a problem and maybe some can help me. I am trying to get this link to work correctly. I'm using google sites to create a website. This is what is happening. I created a link on my webpage that when you click it It will open up an order form with my personal Member ID# for people to order products through my distribution #. If I go to another persons website that is in the company and click on their link, their order form will come up with their personal distribution # for people to order through them. Okay that's fine. Now here is the problem. If I go back to my website and click on my link to open up my order form, the other persons website order form will open up instead of mine. I don't understand what's going on. Is it some html code that I have to enter to prevent this from happening.

Chris
12-18-2010, 11:31 AM
It could be a cookie.

To track affiliate sales most sites set a cookie that is tied to your browser so even if you leave the site and come back, the cookie persists and the right person gets credit for the sale.

Do your test again but this time delete all cookies from your browser (usually somewhere under options) between sites.

phenix
12-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Ok Thanks for the quick response. Will this happen to everyone that clicks on my link and then someone else link and then back to mine.
I know I can delete the cookies but I know someone browsing my website won't delete the cookies between websites. So I'm trying to find a way to make sure my link i guess overwrites the previously stored cookie if that makes any sense. I found 2 different people in my business that has websites selling our products. If I run my test between those two websites the work fine. I can click on site 1's order form and it will appear. Then I can go to site 2 and click on their order form and it will appear. Then I can go back to site 1 and click on their order form and it will appear like normal. I hope this makes since. Thank you for your help.

Chris
12-18-2010, 09:18 PM
In theory, if it happened to you, it would probably happen for everyone.

Assuming you're talking about an affiliate program where you have competitors for the same products/leads, your goal should be that users never visit your competitor's sites, because if they do, you won't get credit.

Some affiliates do do sneaky things with cookies to overwrite them and whatnot.

For further research:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=affiliate+cookie+overwriting