PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Store Builder Script

simonmc
03-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Hi,

New here...I hang out a bit at sitepoint and follow Chris around for his search engine wisdom :)

Anyway...I run a site that sells custom graphic designs. I have been beaten to death in the search engine wars but am just about hanging in there.

I have 2 new initiatives.

1. PHPBB pre-sales forum. Search engine friendly hack using mod rewrite and some session code.

This seems to be going nice as I have added about 70 pages to google in the last month. Nice...keyword loaded pages and traffic is now arriving from there.

My other initiative is a Amazon site that lists graphic design stuff...books and software etc. I am after the keyword rich reviews :)

Anyway...I took the plunge after doing very little research (I know...I had had a few that night) anyway..I now have Amazon Store Builder which does use Mod Rewrite.

The problem I have is that I just want to link to the juicy searches nothing else. The problem is that the search creates a massive php search string that I know google is not happy with. I want to turn this search string and the resulting pages into a friendly url for google.

All the pages in the search are already friendly. It is just the search string itself that sucks.

Any advice? Help?

Am I even doing the right thing. I reckon if I do it correct I can add maybe 2-3000 pages to my site with some great keywords. Will this put me in better standing in the search results?

Anyway...thanks for listening.

Simon

chromate
03-30-2004, 11:08 AM
Welcome Simon!

I really have no idea how Amazon Store Builder works. There are some articles on this site about making your URLs search engine friendly. They will probably help.

simonmc
03-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

When it comes to understanding how these things are constructed my head gets a bit sore :)

I think my problem is the search string. Not being an expert at this I really just want to hear...yes...Mod rewrite is for you. Or...yes...PHP is for you. You know..kind of a bit of guidance. Chances are I will pay someone to do this anyway....just really looking for inspiration.

Simon

s2kinteg916
03-31-2004, 08:17 PM
scriptlance.com ... you can contact someone for work... from that domain..

simonmc
03-31-2004, 11:55 PM
Thanks for your help guys. I got some mod rewrite help over at SP and I have the software developers writing a module for me to make all the links friendly. The source code is closed so I really had to go to the script writers.

Thanks again. This looks like a great forum :)

Simon