PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo vs. Google Statistic

Kyle
03-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I would like to share some important information regarding some optimization I did for a major affiliate site of mine.

The specific page of my affiliate site is www.sonicshopper.com/shoes/index.asp

To show popularity...
The wordtracker score for discount shoes is 1106
The overture score for discount shoes is 18701

I am currently #1 on yahoo!!
And #27 on Google.

And I'm actually getting less traffic from Yahoo on the phrase discount shoes than Google. I thought this was an important statistic to share with everyone.

Also, I'm not doing any type of special optimization.. special being defined as following current theories like de-optimization.

My inbound links are as follows:
Internal of course
Links from www.surviveoutdoors.com in the right column under the Google Ads. These were recently changed to point to my new shoe site, but that was very recent.

That's all the internal links.

Mike
03-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Google has to get sites lots more traffic imho. Think of how many places set it to their homepage. Schools, work (imagine how many searches come from there) and a lot of homes do as well.

Kyle
03-29-2004, 11:46 AM
I've seen lots of people making statements on boards that Yahoo and Google have almost the same share of searchers... I think this is completely false. Google definitely has a much larger share than Yahoo.

Chris
03-29-2004, 12:11 PM
They do have around the same number of searches (according to statistics places).

Yahoo though does much more to get people to click on ads. Notice the number of paid links directly about the search results. In fact with lower resolutions you have to scroll just to see the search results.

Mike
03-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Yea, and the fact a lot of webmasters will use google more than yahoo i would have thought.

fonzerelli_79
03-29-2004, 12:22 PM
yahoo does a lot of branding with local isps
in the uk for example Yahoo BT is an ISP (and BT is Huuuugeeee!)

id have to agree that most webmasters assume google is the top leader

incka
03-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Fonz - Remember Yahoo HMV?

nohaber
03-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Chris is right.
I am #4 for carb counter on the web results at looksmart and I have just 1 hit in the last 3 days. That's because the directory results are shown first, and then the web results. :(

Nick
03-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by fonzerelli_79
yahoo does a lot of branding with local isps
in the uk for example Yahoo BT is an ISP (and BT is Huuuugeeee!)

id have to agree that most webmasters assume google is the top leader

Yeah, in Japan, when people think broadband, they usually think "Yahoo BB". It's massive.

incka
03-29-2004, 11:43 PM
I thought you were from Bradford?!?!?!

Kyle
03-30-2004, 07:26 AM
Thanks for all your thoughts.

Chris your comment on Yahoo's focus on sponsored ads is an excellent point.