PDA

View Full Version : Music Videos

incka
03-23-2004, 02:19 PM
OK, you probably know I own the domain www.music-videos.ws and you probably know I've been developing the site since december.

Well here comes the obvious question, is distributing music videos free of charge legal? The videos I'm using are ALL available on the artists offical websites. I have had no contact with the artist or record company.

I'm so worried I'm even going to set up a seperate company for my music videos site. Does anyone know of any legal problems I might face with it?

GCT13
03-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by incka
Well here comes the obvious question, is distributing music videos free of charge legal?Good Grief Charlie Brown!

http://www.websitepublisher.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=171#post1297

incka
03-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Yes, but that was any music videos, this is ones that the artists provide on their own websites.

Chris
03-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Definitely not legal, if they'd care though is another matter entirely.

incka
03-23-2004, 02:48 PM
I'm seeing quite a few websites doing it, and some of them have been doing it since 1996, so I think they won't care.

Under the video I'm doing amazon links to the artists products, so, well, its promotion and it has a direct link to buying the products - More than MTV or VH1 have.

MarkB
03-23-2004, 03:12 PM
The artists might love it, but the labels will probably very much dislike it if you do it without approval.

Simply ask if you can provide them, and they may well agree. And it'd give you a chance to build a relationship with them that doesn't begin with a cease and desist letter ;)

Labels love free promotion even more than bands do.

chromate
03-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Don't go to the bother of setting up a separate company to do it either Incka. The whole idea is that you have limited liability with your first company. :)

Plus: two companies, two sets of accounts, two lots of corporation tax to take care of, capital gains tax etc etc

incka
03-24-2004, 12:26 AM
Mark - Are you suggesting going round the record labels and asking the artists directly? I like that idea...

MarkB
03-24-2004, 02:15 PM
No, I'm suggesting asking both.

In most cases, the label will own the rights to the videos, and it won't matter if you have the artist's permission. Just like a band saying it's ok to download their MP3s is not going to mean their label is happy for you to do it.

(For the record, I used to work for a major music management company, running the websites for several international bands - and even the official sites had to get clearance from the labels before they could put stuff online).