PDA

View Full Version : HOW does Google find sub pages !?

mobilebadboy
03-29-2010, 03:30 AM
This is the second time this has happened, luckily this time I was paying attention.

I've got a domain that is 5 years old. Been parked at my registrar for the entire 5 years. I've started developing something to put on that domain, and last night I finally uploaded the directories to the server because I have some includes I needed to see in action.

When I pointed the domain to my server, I uploaded a blank index page to root (days before anything else ever touched the server). All of a sudden tonight I see Google crawling these directories I just uploaded. There are no links whatsoever to these directories. So how in the hell is Google getting past my blank index page and finding them!?

I've got another large personal project that I've been working on for quite some time. Same situation. Took a while to get all of that back out of the index.

Google's been in other places with no direct access before too.

Blue Cat Buxton
03-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Do you have a toolbar installed on your browser? Either google or something like alexa that might be recording the url and publishing it where google may see it?

mobilebadboy
03-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I never even thought about Google's toolbar. I guess it's time to dump it. The only reason I really keep using it is to type addresses in to keep my browser address bar limited to a select few urls i visit regularly.

I guess turning off the enhanced features and other privacy concerns were pointless.