PDA

View Full Version : Plurals...

incka
03-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Does google uses plurarls?

Let's say the words are 'TV' and 'TVs'. 'TV' is searched for 1000 times a day while 'TVs' is searched for 5000 times a day. You know this from wordtracker. Overture says 'TV' is searched 6000 times a day as it ignores plurals. So you buy 'TVs.com' and 'TV.com' make them both the same content and have the same backward links, PR, local rank, etc. Which will come first on a google search for TVs or will they draw?

chromate
03-22-2004, 03:17 AM
Assuming everything is exactly the same, probably "TVs". But google does "stem" though, meaning that "tree" will also be a match for "trees".

However, I've found that it's not perfect. For example, if someone searches for "<food> carbohydrate" then my carbohydrate counter site may be listed. However if someone searches for "<food> carbohydrates" then quite often it doesn't get listed. I've changed the page titles now to include the plural of the word too.

nohaber
03-22-2004, 05:59 AM
Google has a very interesting stemming technology. Run a search on your target keyword and see if the plural or other similar words are bolded. All bolded words are weighted, and the rest are not IMHO. For example, a search for "diet", does not count "diets". But a search for "diet software", bolds both "diet" and "diets".

I think this is the only way to decide what forms of a word help the rankings.