PDA

View Full Version : Need help, Best way to set up forms to query CVS files from SQL database.

VeraxTek
02-22-2010, 09:35 AM
I am completely new to this and a I apologize if I am postihng this in the wrong area.

Here is what I am trying to do.

Upload or "store" EXCEL files on my server and then have a "FORM" clients can fill out in order to see the info I uploaded in excel format.

I was thinking that I should use either HTML or ASP to build the form and then MYSQL to store the data.

What would be the best way for me to get the excel data stored on my server and then have a page with a FORM for clients to go to and be able to see the data from the excel file?

I also want the form to have drop down selection boxes so that the client can chose which data from the excel file they want to see.

Any help is much appreciated.

Chris
02-23-2010, 01:15 PM
You want them to see the information in excel format?

Then you can just link to the excel sheet and allow them to download it.

What do you want them to fill out first? Is this a username/password login, or more like "give us your address so we can market to you and we'll show you our spreadsheet" sort of thing?

If, however, you don't want to merely provide them with the excel file, you want to provide them with database information that you can customize on the fly. Then yes, you will need to export the excel file to CSV, then import into MySQL, and then use, typically php, to access it.

VeraxTek
02-23-2010, 06:38 PM
I am trying to create a form on a financial website so that clients can go to the form on a web page and first "LOGIN"

Once they login, they will be presented with a form with drop down menus asking them WHAT info they want to see. (name, company, deposits, withdrawals, intere3st, etc... and then once they make their selections and hit submit, the info is pulled from the database and displayed on the website.

The database is on our company server and is MS SQL (Not MYSQL)

I have access to the database and MS Server 2005 and visual server 2005 and I can see the login name for me and the database name, but I have no idea how to connect the database to the form. How to query certain data or even how to have the form find the database for that matter.

I am very familiar with installing Joomla websites on MYSQL databases and how to connect the config file for the website to the MYDQL database, but with this project I am way in over my head.

My boss wants me to figure it out and I am usually good at doing that, but this has me baffled.

First I need to know how to even connect to the database through a website and then have the form fields set so that whatever the client selects, that is what he gets.

I don't want to have to tell my boss I can't do this, because I am sure with enough Googling and asking around I can figure it out, but any help here would be greatly appreciated. :)