PDA

View Full Version : Create a Form and Submit

connelly73
01-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi I'm very new but would like to know if anyone can recomend a good tutorial that can instruct me on how to create form on my site to collect data for guitar equipment reviews.

I have created some basic forms my problem is what to do with the submit button. I would like the information to go to some form of php database and be displayed on a page in my site but I'm very green and new to this and would like some info on a good tutorial or a free software package that could do it without any programming knowledge if there are no good tutorials out there.

thanks.

Chris
01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
You could just use a software package like wordpress to be your CMS, and thus use it's built in comment feature. Builing one from scratch for a php newbie is going to be quite a difficult undertaking and not something I would recommend.

Here is a tutorial though

http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/php-mysql-intro/

connelly73
01-31-2010, 03:55 PM
Cheers will check it out. Done some basic php stuff in the meantime and managed to get a basic form to email one going and a ile upload script working. Starting to understand the basics its just trying to find out what code etc... to use to get the submit to create a new page on my site with the details from the form that was sub into into it.

Blue Cat Buxton
02-01-2010, 03:36 AM
I have been messing about with forms over the weekend, and came accross this article which sorted out my issue on why checkboxes were not returning the correct results.

It may help http://www.tizag.com/phpT/examples/formex.php

connelly73
02-01-2010, 04:11 PM
THANKS!! On first reading this is what I'm looking for. Will let you know how I get on.

Chris
02-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I have been messing about with forms over the weekend, and came accross this article which sorted out my issue on why checkboxes were not returning the correct results.

It may help http://www.tizag.com/phpT/examples/formex.php
Oh yes that checkbox issue is annoying, I remember having difficulty with that 10 years ago, surprised browsers haven't fixed it.

connelly73
02-08-2010, 04:52 PM
GOT IT. After some research, learning, and much trial and error I finally managed a basic form and search. If you get a chance I would appreciate it if anybody could have a look and see if it looks OK.

Will need to get some review added now and some code to stop abuse and swear words being added but the basics are there thanks guys for the help.

Mr. Pink
02-08-2010, 05:56 PM
You should put a direct link to the form page, in your post (I had trouble finding the page) so people can review it.

It looks very basic, but I don't like the alignment of the text-fields. They are all snug up against the edge of your page design. You should have a small margin, so that it looks more polished up.

Other than that I think it's OK. ;)

Blue Cat Buxton
02-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I agree with Mr Pink that the formating of the result could do with some refinement but the form itself seems to work well. I also like the a -z search (something I use as well as it helps people get more results to review)

On a technical issue, If you click 'M' it comes up with a review for a Peavey VYPYR 15 Watt Practice Amp, so not sure why this is in the M category?

connelly73
02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
I agree with Mr Pink that the formating of the result could do with some refinement but the form itself seems to work well. I also like the a -z search (something I use as well as it helps people get more results to review)

On a technical issue, If you click 'M' it comes up with a review for a Peavey VYPYR 15 Watt Practice Amp, so not sure why this is in the M category?

Thanks for the comments still learning and its been a steep learning curve. The M thing is a typo I think but having a little difficulty with the a to z, as it returns any letter in the title and I would like just the first letter of the title but Im working on that. Thanks again
Link is http://www.guitarandsong.com/guitar-reviews.htm then click option on right hand menu.

mobilebadboy
02-12-2010, 04:36 AM
as it returns any letter in the title and I would like just the first letter of the title but Im working on that.
A couple of options (both do the same thing). Change your_table and your_column.

select * from your_table where substring(your_column,1,1) = '$by'

select * from your_table where left(your_column,1) = '$by'

Chris
02-13-2010, 08:53 AM
or

select * from your_table where your_column like '$by%'