PDA

View Full Version : DJ Equipment Site

Nick
03-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey guys,

If you don't mind, stop by my new site DJsupplySTORE (http://www.djsupplystore.com).

It runs off an affiliate feed, but I added an nice "review" script that I hope will help add some real content to the product pages.

What are your thoughts on the site? The purpose of the site is to, of course, sell as much DJ equipment ad possible. However, I'm wondering if I should add a forum or an articles section to help bring in more traffic from SE's.

Or should I leave it how it is, and move on to another site?

Thanks.

GCT13
03-21-2004, 12:02 AM
Looks nice, although I'm getting a dreaded 404 on the BUY NOW links (phptrak.php).

Nick
03-21-2004, 12:29 AM
Thanks. 404 fixed.

edit:

Also, I'm very knowledgeable on DJ'ing and music production in general. So, do you think it would be worth my while to write "feature" reviews on specific items?

Should I possibly set up an "Interview" section where I interview DJ's that I know. (I know waaaaaaay to many, but I would only pick the ones that have some sort of and influence on the web.)

I don't know. I have a lot of ideas, and they all sound fun. But really, I'm just trying to look at my ROI as far as time spent coding/designing is concerned.

sitepointRefugee
03-21-2004, 01:56 AM
It runs off an affiliate feed, but I added an nice "review" script that I hope will help add some real content to the product pages.
I think there should a link with anchor text "review" or something instead of making the equipment's name a hyperlink. The current design is not very intuitive to me.

Also the equipment's detailed information page like this one http://www.djsupplystore.com/model/2936/, I don't think you need to make both the equipment's name and "BUY NOW" hyperlinks. "BUY NOW" should just suffice; the equipment's name should just be a static text.

Mike
03-21-2004, 02:09 AM
I would suggest styling the links on the right hand menu differently. I don't know why but I don't like that sort of hover.

Rest looks pretty good though :)

chromate
03-21-2004, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Nick
What are your thoughts on the site? The purpose of the site is to, of course, sell as much DJ equipment ad possible. However, I'm wondering if I should add a forum or an articles section to help bring in more traffic from SE's.

You should definitely work on some articles etc if you want decent search engine placements. It's going to be very hard to get people to link to a pure affiliate store. Especially as you're using a datafeed, and there will be hundreds of links all the same because many other people are doing the zZounds thing too.

I'm launching a couple of sites in a few days time. One is an affiliate site running off a datafeed and one is a content site. The only purpose of the content site is to collect PR to be sent on to the affiliate site. In addition, by having another content site I'm building my overall PageRank Power, as Chris would put it :)

I chose to have a separate site to collect the PR for two reasons. Firstly, people are pretty PR savvy these days and they can spot easily when you're just building up your affiliate store. Secondly, it will work out better in terms of local rank. I've given the sites similar primary keywords, I'll place them on different servers (different IPs) and that way they'll boost each other's LocalRank score.

... At least, that's the plan anyway ;) lol

incka
03-21-2004, 05:48 AM
I'm planning another datafeed/web services site soon too, I've got the domain... The good thing about the one I'm planning is basically every product has about 100 reviews...

Nick
03-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Excellent ideas guys. I really appreciate it.

I think mabey I taking the wrong angle towards this site. I'm going to remove all affiliate links and advertisements and simply try to build as much content on the site as possible. Then, once there is a decent amount of traffic, I'll replace the links and advertisements.

Hopefully, this will help me get some incoming links. btw, if any of you want to link up, PM me.

pas
03-21-2004, 12:11 PM
You might get some good ideas here:

http://www.associateprograms.com/search/site-build-it.shtml

It's about a guy who built an affiliate DJ site.

(Here's an article about his second site - computers - http://associateprograms.com/search/affiliate-programs.shtml)

chromate
03-21-2004, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure how much of those articles I actually believe. I mean, I know they're there to sell that "build it" product, but, hmmm I dunno, I can't make up my mind about things like that.

pas
03-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Yeah, they're definitely hoping to sell Site-Build-It (which I guess is one of their best performing affiliate programs), but I think the articles are honest. I checked the SERPs for the sites back when I first read the articles - they were good. As for Site-Build-It, I don't know how useful it'd be for me - I think I already know how to do everything it does. Except for the keyword competition analyzer - that could definitely be useful.

chromate
03-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Actually, the keyword competition analyzer is something I would probably avoid. I don't think it would give a very good idea of the competition, just as wordtracker doesn't. I think the only way to really appreciate the competition is to check it out manually.

Nick
03-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by chromate
You should definitely work on some articles etc if you want decent search engine placements.

I can see how custom articles would help, but I think that the reviews I'll get will be enough. I seed the site with a ton of custom reviews that I've written, but I'll leave the rest up to the users.

Originally posted by chromate
It's going to be very hard to get people to link to a pure affiliate store.

I can see that. I'm expecting to get some links from different forums. (ie, "Hey, does anyone own <product>?", "No, but you can check out some reviews <a href=mysite>here</a>")

I'm sure I won't have a problem negotiating reciprocal links either. Especially if I remove all ads and affiliate links while I'm building links.

I do plan on adding a content site soon which will replace synthguide.com, but that is going to take some time to create. I'm in a bit of a press right now. I'm trying to get as many sites up as possible before may 25th. Because after that, I'll be moving to Japan, and It'll be a good month before I'm able to start working on my sites again.