PDA

View Full Version : Yet another site

Chris
03-20-2004, 12:22 PM
http://www.4discountapparel.com

Because Amazon AWS for clothing isn't good, I'm using bluefly. They have great commission and expensive products, but no web services, just a feed. It took come creative programming to turn the feed into a full site -- especially the category structure. But... I think I'm done.

incka
03-20-2004, 12:39 PM
I've seen it before...

Your sig has a '|' missing...

The header is too hippyish for my liking, but saying that I have hippy long hair and I'm a Vegan so...

Also use FireBird to look at the homepage table thing, some of the text goes out of the table...

Good search tool...

There is alot of repetition of products...

pas
03-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Anybody know of a good pagination scheme that allows search engines to spider the pages? Doing:

page 1, page 2, page 3, ...
1, 2, 3
etc.

works well for, say, about 50 pages or less, but when you have hundreds of pages...

Shawn
03-20-2004, 12:51 PM
With the color scheme and header, it really seems like a site solely for females.

That being said, my girlfriend just came over and brought me lunch while I was looking at your site -- she says:

She loves the header. Likes the pink color. Thinks it's easy to navigate. She wants me to buy http://www.4discountapparel.com/item/1041669 for her, so you'll probably have a sale later tonight (depending on what she gives me). The items leave one lacking for more of a description, but I know that's not your fault.

On basically any browser on Apple, the contents on the front page beige cell exceed the cell. Dunno if you care about Mac users or not, I know I didn't (until now).

Pretty good site, overall.

Oh, and -- I will DEFINITELY have at least 1 of those articles to you later today. I know I've been saying it, but I'm finally about done.

Take care.

Chris
03-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Ya, I did design it with females in mind. Like in clothing stores, 3/4th of it is female, 1/4th is male. Plus women shop for clothes more than men.

The header font is called "Trendy" its a trendy kinda font (duh). To me it screams "Mall Girl" so thats why I used it.

The description is all that is supplied in the feed. Whats great though is they have an image program, instead of urls, you feed the program the product number and the dimensions you want and it spits out a picture. I wonder if all BeFree powered feeds are like that.

Thanks for the sale Shawn.

chromate
03-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by pas
Anybody know of a good pagination scheme that allows search engines to spider the pages? Doing:

page 1, page 2, page 3, ...
1, 2, 3
etc.

works well for, say, about 50 pages or less, but when you have hundreds of pages...

I have that exact same problem. I'm half way through an allPosters affiliate store. It's going to be photography based. But some of the categories have thousands and thousands of posters. The quantity is a real problem.

Mike
03-20-2004, 01:16 PM
I like it.

Something I would suggest is to not have as thick a outline for your slogan just before you logo.

Also, is there any reason you have times new roman on quite a few of your sites? Just wondering like...

chromate
03-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Something wrong with the search: If I type in a brand then it will find all the products matching that brand fine. But if I type in something like "belt" or "shirt" it doesn't find anything.

pas
03-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I haven't been able to find any sites that have pagination solutions that deal with hundreds of pages and maximize SE spidering. It's usually select lists, text box with prev/next, or a subset of pages:

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 20

I haven't figured out anything I really like, but was playing around with something like:

hundreds: 100 200 300 400 500
tens: 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90
ones: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

on the bottom of every page. Clicking 100 takes you to page 100, then clicking 20 takes you to page 120, then clicking 7 takes you to page 127. I don't know, probably too much work, but you could also have prev/next links, plus subsets, etc.

incka
03-20-2004, 01:57 PM
My jewelry site (I'm making a new design, don't worry, it's a template because I want it to look better than any other jewelry site on the net) has over 20,000 products in some categories I think... There is no way google is going to rank them all unless the site gets a PR 7 or something...

Chris
03-20-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by chromate
Something wrong with the search: If I type in a brand then it will find all the products matching that brand fine. But if I type in something like "belt" or "shirt" it doesn't find anything.

Fixed, don't know why it wasn't working but by changing a variable name its fixed.

incka
03-20-2004, 02:35 PM
You still have the sig problem...

kdb003
03-20-2004, 03:06 PM
i wouldnt exactly call the clothing a discount

Chris
03-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Ya its pretty expensive stuff -- but it is discounted from the standard retail price. This is the kind of stuff movie stars buy.

flyingpylon
03-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Regarding paging... I do it with subsets.

Show links like << <prev 6 [7] 8 9 10 next> >> where the current page is 7, "<<" is the previous subset of 5 and ">>" is the next subset of 5.

Of course you can also use larger subsets to show more than 5 page links at a time.

Chris
03-20-2004, 10:15 PM
I'm going to try something with this site.

Back in mid-January I launched my powertools site and it was deep crawled and added in very short order. Meanwhile everyone else was having problems getting that done.

I did link to the site from the homepage of jalic.com, which fluctuates between a 6 and a 7.

So, I theorize that perhaps because of the weight of the link Google paid it extra attention. Since Google is doing frequent updates now perhaps it is possible to get a site listed in only a week or two if you have weighty links.

So I have replaced the powertools link with this site, we'll see how quickly Google gobbles it up.

sitepointRefugee
03-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Hi Chris,

I checked many of your sites including http://www.4discountapparel.com/. I noticed that you have a very similar design in many of your sites, and to me, what's characteristic is the left side navigation bar. Is this your template? I'm just curious.

incka
03-21-2004, 02:53 AM
Chris made a good design and kept to it, can't blame him, I would too...

Chris
03-21-2004, 07:26 AM
Its a template I bought.

I like the layout, so I reuse it.

Nerveman
04-30-2004, 03:09 AM
Hi Chris,

How do you find all these different type of sites (like Blue Fly) that offer feeds and commissions. Is there a particular directory site that lists them?

Cheers,
David

Chris
04-30-2004, 05:54 AM
CJ.com
Linkshare.com
Befree.com

Nerveman
04-30-2004, 07:14 AM
Thanks Chris.

ASP-Hosting.ca
04-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi Chris,

What content management system do you use for your content and ecommerce sites?

Thanks

incka
04-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Chris uses his own PHP & MySQL for content management on his content sites. I do not know about his ecommerce sites, and I too would be interested to find out this information.

Dan Morgan
05-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Not sure whther this is intended or a problem but is the 'and' in the color field intended? It doesnt seem like the description is a continuation of the color field so maybe there is an issue?

Brand: Ralph Lauren: Polo
Price: $54.95
Color: Pinstripe Black and
Polo Ralph Lauren's classic shirts are timeless favorites that make a welcome addition to any man's wardrobe.

Chris
05-01-2004, 02:58 PM
My ecommerce site is oscommerce.

Dan, thats an error in their datafeed.