PDA

View Full Version : New Users and Post SPAM

Mr. Pink
12-19-2009, 08:43 AM
I've been coming to this forum for quite a while and enjoy it. Hopefully I also make a few contributions that others find useful.

One of the best features of this site is the "recent forum posts" log on the home page. However, every now and then I find there's some new user that just splashes 10 or 15 meaningless posts which results in plastering the "recent forum posts" log with meaningless updated to new threads that are equally meaningless and really serve no purpose to anyone.

Sorry to be blunt, but I feel that many of these new members have hidden agendas. They probably know that after a certain number of posts they will be able to include a link in their signatures. Or something along those lines.

I am not sure how much work this is, but I think it would be a good idea to implement some kind of restriction for new users. Perhaps something that would restrict the number of new posts to 3 per day, until a certain number of posts is reached. Then, if their posts seem suspicious, the restriction may not even be lifted.

I'm sure my suggestion will sound fascist to some of the people reading this, but I am not trying to give anyone a hard time. I am simply making a suggestion to somehow control those out of control new users.

Peace...

Chris
12-19-2009, 06:26 PM
its hard, I gotta try to balance things.

In the cast of the guy from last night, I banned him, because while he didn't technically break the rules, you're right, it looks fishy, and his IP mapped to a web server, not an ISP.