PDA

View Full Version : Optimization advice

paul
03-18-2004, 06:42 PM
What is the best way to optimize a highly ranked, established site?

I have a niche content site I wrote years ago and then ignored. I had never heard of SEO and was teaching myyself FrontPage.

Now I find the home page is PR6 with 100+ incoming links and even most interior pages are ranked. Pages two clicks deep in the site have PR5.

For example, one page is called "Warranties" . It has two sentences of content, the file name is warranties.htm, it is linked back to advice.htm, and is PR5. I can see a few opportunities for improvement :)

My thought would be to create a new page called keyword_warranties.htm, and link to that from the existing page with text like "keyword keyword warranties" . Then take the time to write 500-1000 substantive words about warranties.

I have 40-50 pages like this so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

dethfire
03-19-2004, 12:35 PM
My biggest suggestion is to do it in baby steps. The worst thing you can do with an already established and popular site is to destroy it by going rambo with optimization techniques.

Other than that I can't give any suggestion. I used to have a good idea how to optimize until google shat on me a month ago and I haven't been able to figure out how to recover :(

sitepointRefugee
03-20-2004, 06:33 AM
keyword_warranties.htm
"-" hyphen is generally recommended for search engines read "-" hyphen as a space. In this case, keyword-warranties.htm is recommended.

I have 40-50 pages like this so any suggestions would be appreciated.
I don't know the size of the site or structure, but generally speaking, as the size of the site gets bigger, it becomes more important to clearly define the hierarchical structure of the site for usability, accessibility and SEO purposes.

Now I find the home page is PR6 with 100+ incoming links and even most interior pages are ranked. Pages two clicks deep in the site have PR5.
Already listed in DMOZ? If not, why not submit the site to DMOZ? Depending on your budget, you might also want to submit the site to Yahoo directory.