PDA

View Full Version : .net versus .com

SBG
12-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi,
Please forgive the simplicity of my question, I'm another of your 'green' visitors standing on the bottom of the webmaster ladder.

I went to purchase a .com domain from godaddy this evening and discovered that it had been registered 10 years ago - it is not published to the web.

Could anybody enlighten me as to the benefits, or not, of buying the .net domain, as this is available?

Also, godaddy have offered their services to approach the .com registrant on my behalf. However, the domain expires next March, so would it be better to let sleeping dogs lie on that one and try again next March? Has anybody ever used this service without being ripped off?

Many, many, thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Stuart

Chris
12-18-2009, 06:01 AM
If you already have the .com you have the better domain, the only reason to get the .net is to stop a competitor from doing it and creating confusion around your site.

This is still a very good reason to do it, because domains are cheap, but that is the only reason to get both.

If, of course, you can't get the .com, then the .net is all you've got, get it now, nothing wrong with using it.

And just because a domain may be expiring and was never used does not mean it will not be renewed.

TerryTurner
01-24-2010, 06:36 AM
If you purchase the .net and the .com is already listed then you may be pushing crucial traffic away because people automaticaly type .com.

.net domains are only good with catchy (short) domain names that people will recall easy.

crazypenguin
12-26-2010, 02:33 AM
As of this post webpublisher.net is in the #1 position on Google. So far as the domain for this forum the .net extension works great.

HostColor
04-25-2011, 02:48 PM
.net work good. If anyone got the .com, but never used it you can build an online brand using the .net TLD. If the website is well-indexed in the Search Engines then the domain extension isn't that important.