PDA

View Full Version : Dmoz

Mr. Pink
12-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I was wondering what was the current take on submitting to the DMOZ directory.

As far as I can tell that's a beast with multiple heads, the heads being the so-called editors that are supposed to be in charge of whatever category listings they were put in charge of.

Does anyone even take that directory seriously any more?

I have been patiently submitting my sites, without spamming, for a span of a couple of years now. I never hear back as much as a whisper.

From what I can tell this is something that completely died out. What good are editors that don't even do anything any more? And there's no place to report inactive editors. Or is there?

So, does a DMOZ listing even carry any weight nowadays? Does it make any sense to keep trying?

Chris
12-07-2009, 09:06 AM
I generally do not bother to submit anymore.

I've written lots of times on the problems with that directory's leadership, so I will not repeat myself, but no, I don't think they're worth much of a bother.

I think you'd be better off finding bloggers, even if you have to pay them.

AndyTC
12-07-2009, 06:36 PM
DMOZ unfortunately is still considered an important 2.0 site to get a back link from which in-turn effects your ranking on Google and Bing. So since it doesn't take long to do it's worth doing. Good luck with ever getting listed though.

Though if you have a legitimate site it's worth paying the fee to get onto Yahoo's directory as a back link from there is worth more. Since it looks certain that Yahoo and Bing are to fully join, focusing on Bing right now is probably more important as their engine will be what determines rankings on yahoo search, but the directory searches not to sure what will happen with those.

Chotrul
12-22-2009, 06:06 AM
I've also submitted my sites over the last few years in a responsible way, and quality sites, but none have ever made it in!

Blue Cat Buxton
12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
I've also submitted my sites over the last few years in a responsible way, and quality sites, but none have ever made it in!

I have submitted a couple that have made it in (within the last 12 months), I think it depends on the category

connelly73
01-09-2010, 09:34 AM
I have submitted to it and still waiting four months on.

ishamel
01-29-2010, 02:21 AM
this directory is pretty picky, I also have try many times and many time as well I get no result,I think it no longer use focus on them once it almost impossible, more over I think they pick site from the traffic, and not from submission brought to them

02-28-2010, 12:20 AM
dmoz is no use for the SEO anymore...

Mr. Pink
02-28-2010, 10:00 PM
dmoz is no use for the SEO anymore...

Can you elaborate?

Chris
03-01-2010, 07:07 AM
It still helps, it is still a nice incoming link, and it is still syndicated in many places.

But the directory is still poorly run, and Google no longer emphasizes it, so it is less beneficial.

amberstar702
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Submitting to DMOZ is an exercise in frustration. I try every year and never get any response. They will go against their own rules and accept sites when it suits them. :eek:

Mr. Pink
03-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I agree with you, amberstar.

To be quite honest, I always thought that site is lame. Not only is it lame, but it's "managed" by all these so-called "editors" whose only purpose seems to be to shut the doors on anyone wanting to get it. There are absolutely no standards for these "editors." I understand that they can't accept everyone, but an auto-reply that your application has been reviewed would fall into unwritten common courtesy guidelines. I just don't get it how all these editors can have the same attitude.

I also tried to become an editor in one of the categories that was available at the time, so I submitted my application but never heard back. It doesn't matter what the category is but I happen to have real credentials for that particular category, with a total of 13 national awards, or which 11 are 1st place. One would think that those credentials would be enough to at least get someone to take the time to reply to my application. Instead some guy I've never heard of got the "job" and is now "managing" the category. I just don't get it what the criteria is.

Also, there's no one to complain to.

Anyway, at the end of the day, who cares about some lame site, right?

bermuda
04-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I guess DMOZ is no longer a magical formula to use for gaining top rankings because you can find a lot of No.1 websites on Google with no DMOZ listings whatsoever. It has always remained a mystery and a very huge confusion for people since no one replies to the queries and you will never learn about your link submission status.

wlanguide
04-13-2010, 02:24 AM

Same here, dont have any clue:mad: