PDA

View Full Version : Google & Javascript...

incka
03-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Not sure if you already know this, but google can already read javascript links and rumors are going round that it is soon going to be able to read all of javascript.

Chris
03-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Not that I doubt it, because they've been dropping hints that they're working on it, but what is your source?

Also there are different types of javascript links. Straight window.open or top.href links wouldn't be too hard to read.

incka
03-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Source, um, I forgot... It was a site I trust though.

I see your using forms, are they SE-proof?

Mike
03-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Yes they are.

chromate
03-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Google still doesn't read links written using Javascript's document.write('href...')

The privacy policy page on my carbohydrate counter site used to have a PR of 5 and now it has no PR at all because I replaced the normal link with one written using javascript.

incka
03-17-2004, 03:16 PM
Could you use that PR to link to me :)

chromate
03-17-2004, 03:37 PM
By preventing it from going to my privacy policy, I keep it flowing through the more important parts of my site.

incka
03-18-2004, 12:39 AM
I like your ideas... I think I'll use the one Chris does though, the PHP one...

As soon as I've got home...

BTW: My email is working now :) They upgraded FreeBSD and hey presto, it was working :)

sitepointRefugee
03-18-2004, 03:46 AM
I have a question to ask. Maybe too early to ask, but someone might have the answer.
q. One way to make the site non-JavaScript compatible is to use <script><script><noscript><noscript>. How will Google read it? Is it going to count links in both <script><script> and <noscript><noscript> or ... it just picks one?

Chris
03-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by sitepointRefugee
q. One way to make the site non-JavaScript compatible is to use <script><script><noscript><noscript>. How will Google read it? Is it going to count links in both <script><script> and <noscript><noscript> or ... it just picks one?

Good question.

Chris
03-18-2004, 09:00 AM
According to this:

http://www.markcarey.com/googleguy-says/archives/google-crawls-javascript.html

Google can extract whole URLs from javascript, which isn't necessarily the same thing as crawling links.