PDA

View Full Version : New Website Publisher

ShannonM
10-07-2009, 09:45 AM
My name is Shannon, and I'm looking forward to starting a new career as a Website Publisher. I've been reading the guides in this website and am just starting my first site.

I'm currently an adjunct English Professor, where I get paid while I'm in class but not all the hours when I'm preparing for class or grading essays. I've also had to teach during the evenings the past few semesters because the full-time professors are getting all the online courses due to the budget cuts. I manage my son's Autism therapies all day and then go teach at night, and I'm tired!

I'm excited about a new career where I can work while my kids are in school (or otherwise occupied), get rewarded for the actual hours I work (I hope to, anyway), and build businesses around all my passions (I'm not saying I have ADD, but I sure do like a variety of things).

Before teaching, I was a technical writer, so I learned a little HTML, Java, and XML. But my skills and computer knowledge are very "rusty". I'm looking forward to being able to get help from this forum.

Sorry for the long Intro. You can probably tell that I like to write. : )

Mr. Pink
10-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your web site(s).

You shouldprobably start with a blog. That's easy, free and eventually you can cross-link it with a web site (whatever your site will be about).

Cheers...

ShannonM
10-08-2009, 08:05 PM
You're right. In my cms search, I discovered BuddyPress and Elgg and got a little carried away with a huge idea. So thank you for a voice of reason. I should start small with one blog.

Blue Cat Buxton
10-09-2009, 02:40 AM
another advantage would be that the blogging technology is generally very easy to get started with, something like wordpress or even blogger.

Dan Schulz
10-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Welcome aboard, Shannon!

amazing_richell
10-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Welcome Shannon. You have nice plan for yourself. Good luck as always.

dreid
10-27-2009, 08:47 AM
hello all
my name is dan.
I currently have a website that I am trying to update. Used to have a webmaster, who designed and maintained but do to not enough time to update I have to do this myself. The only problem I have is I dont have the program he used to create it. It was done with frontpage and I have dreamweaver cs3. So, this is my current task in life.
Thanks for this forum I will be asking alot of questions.
Thanks all