PDA

View Full Version : How is this site designed?

Mr. Pink
09-18-2009, 05:43 AM
So far, I've always designed all of my sites with static HTML page.

I have been wanting to do a large site (for animation, BTW) that would be structured more or less like this site, which I believe is a database drives site.

So, my question is this: how is this site designed? Is it Joomla?

(Please note, I am not a programmer, so I just know HTML and I can kind of figure out how to do simple mods in existing scripts.)

Blue Cat Buxton
09-19-2009, 01:40 AM
I think Chris custom coded it (or had it custom coded).

Mr. Pink
09-19-2009, 04:50 AM
Oh, I see...

Still, is there a similar bundle available anywhere?

What I am really looking for are the following features:

- Listing the past few posts form the forum, on the home page.

- Me publishing content into a database, rather then building static pages.

- The site having a template, so if I ever add a menu item all pages would be updated automatically.

- Enabling visitors to contribute their own articles (with photos and videos).

- Enabling visitors to comment on existing articles.

- Having some kind of marketplace, like Craig's List, where visitors would list "4 sale" items for free and listings would expire after 10 days.

Since I've always done my sites in static HTML it's a bit of a challenge transitioning. I haven't had time to look into Joomla, but can anyone tell me if Joomla will enable me to do just that? Basically, I don't expect to be spoon-fed, but prefer not to waste my time looking into Joomla if someone can tell me in 2 minutes that I'm looking in the wrong direction.

thanks...

Blue Cat Buxton
09-21-2009, 04:04 AM
I haven't used Joomla

but why not use wordpress? It has all of the article features you need, and the forum post feature you can get a simple plug in for.

Chris
09-21-2009, 05:15 AM
Ya you can either code it yourself, or do it with a software package that has plugins that'll do the functionality you want.

Wordpress is a good one.

You could also just use vbulletin with the new vbulletin CMS coming out in 4.0, or the existing third part vbadvanced mod.

Mr. Pink
09-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Thank you, both, for your replies.

A good recommendation will undoubtedly cut-down on my research time.